Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am not sure where this fits in as I am a Linux/Unix newbie. I am not sure if this is network, security or system related even. I have two ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

telnet localhost 5555

I am not sure where this fits in as I am a Linux/Unix newbie. I am not sure if this is network, security or system related even.

I have two servers both running Linux 8.0. I am attemtping to get our backup software installed and the tech gave me "telnet localhost 5555" as a command to verify configuration. On one system this works like a champ. On my system in question it fails. The server guys have assured me that both systems should be setup the same. I have no issues using ssh to get to either system. I thought this might be related to not having the telent service enabled but was told that this is test is an internal thing and the telnet service is not needed. It is disabled on the system that this command works fine.

Idean on anything else I or the server guys anc verify. This only really big difference between the systems is that the non-working system resides within my DMZ area. I cannot see this big an issue if the telent localhost is an internal operating type command.

Any help or recommendations will be appreciated.

thinking out loud here, nothing more. But is there any firewall (iptables) setup to stop a user using telnet?

Like I said, just thinking out loud.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS