Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey there. Plaese dont disregard this as a newb question I have worked on debian for 3 years and just recently switched to Red Hat. Who would think Red Hat ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sshd on port 443 on Red Hat 9

Hey there.

Plaese dont disregard this as a newb question I have worked on debian for 3 years and just recently switched to Red Hat. Who would think Red Hat would be harder to set up than Debian

Anyhow I can't get sshd to listen on port 443. On debian all i had to do is add a line to the sshd conf file "Port 443" and everything worked , but that is not that case here. Do any of U long time Red Hat users know what might be preventing it from getting that port. I am not running a apache so that is not huggin that port. I had no troble assigining it a port that is higher than 1024 for example "Port 6789" worked.

Thanks for all your help!

Linux Engineer
    This has nothing to do with your question but why did you make the switch?
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    My work got a crafty fire-wall and they let through port 443 couse its apache secure port. So thats the only port i can connect to my home server using ssh couse the fire-wall thinks its apache connection.

Linux Engineer
    Make sure you put the port 443 line in sshd_config and don't forget to restart sshd. Sshd does not change from distro to distro.

Just Joined!
    Thaks everybody, the problem was that iptables was blocking it. thanks again !