Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I started to compile the kernel with genkernel it made it all the way through successfully but at one point I got amessage of: Copying System.map to /boot/System.map-2.4.20-gentoo-r5....... mv: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Gentoo Install questions?

When I started to compile the kernel with genkernel it made it all the way through successfully but at one point I got amessage of:

Copying System.map to /boot/System.map-2.4.20-gentoo-r5.......
    mv: cannot stat `/boot/System.map': No such file or directory

Is this anything to be worried about?? Thanks..

One other question is the two things that it says when its done compiling at the bottom of the screen.

Please specify /boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r5 and /boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-rs when customizing your boot loader configuration files.

So my question is that I've configured the kernel using genkernel and have configured Grub and grub.conf like so:

<grub utility>
    grub> root (hd0,0)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit
    <grub.conf>
    default 0
    timeout 30
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=My Gentoo Linux (compiled by genkernel)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-KV root=/dev/hda3
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-KV

This is my question. Does the above look configured correctly and are the "grub.conf (kernel and initrd lines)" suppose to look like this:

"kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/hda3 vga=795"

"initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r5

How are these lines suppose to look very specifically from:

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel- <from this point here...on>

Oh ya..

The install guide says:

Using framebuffer

People who have selected framebuffer in their kernel should add vga=xxx to their bootloader configuration file.

How do I know if this has been selected. Where do I look? Remember I'm a noob so please put the kids gloves on.. I'm not stupid just a new to linux somewhat.

Thanks.
    JB

Linux User
    I'm not sure if you should be worried about that or not, I guess you'll find out when you boot up. Genkernel just seems to cause people nothing but problems, they should really do away with it. As for your grub question, you should use these lines wihout the extra /boot/kernel-:

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/hda3

initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r5

As for the framebuffer, I doubt genkernel has it compiled so don't worry about the vga=.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for the response.

Still banging away..

Learning allot though.
    JB

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie

25: Installation Complete??

Warning: etc-update can provide you with a list of configuration files that have newer versions at your disposal. Verify that none of the configuration files have a big impact (such as /etc/fstab, /etc/make.conf, /etc/rc.conf, ...). Merge the files that don't have such a big impact, remove the updates of the others or view the diff and manually update the configuration file.
    I don't understand the above what so ever :o
    Can anyone tell me what I actually need to do here in noobian terms

Code listing 26.1: Rebooting the System

# etc-update
    # exit
    (This exits the chrooted shell; you can also type ^D)
    # cd /
    # umount /mnt/gentoo/boot
    # umount /mnt/gentoo/proc
    # umount /mnt/gentoo
    # reboot
    (Don't forget to remove the bootable CD)
    That parts pretty straight forward

Note: After rebooting, it is a good idea to run the update-modules command to create the /etc/modules.conf file. Instead of modifying this file directly, you should generally make changes to the files in /etc/modules.d.
    Uhhhhh.. Huh... huhhh... Again this is greek to me. I'm not sure what I need to do exactly.

Thanks,
    JB

Linux Guru
    If you emerge something in gentoo and that program likes to change/add a configuration file that already exists, the existing copy is left in place and the new one is given an alternative name. When you run etc-update, it will look through all these new configuration files and let you choose whether to keep the old one, or to replace the old one with the new one. Unless you have manually made any changes to the configuration file in question, it's generally a good idea to replace the old one with the new one.

The update-modules command takes information from several files and compiles the file /etc/modules.conf from them. What they mean is essentially that you shouldn't ever make any changes directly to /etc/modules/conf, but if you want to add anything to it, you should add it to a file in the directory /etc/modules.d and then rerun update-modules.