Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
History: I've had MDK 10.1 Running on this sytem for about six months, never had any problems. About a month ago, I upgraded to Mandriva 2005LE. Re-started, ran fine. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Major Freezing Problems

History:

I've had MDK 10.1 Running on this sytem for about six months, never had any problems. About a month ago, I upgraded to Mandriva 2005LE. Re-started, ran fine. I had 18 days of uptime with no issues. Then one day I came home, and the box was froze solid. No combo of keys would work, couldn't ssh in from anywhere, nothing... Did the hard reset. I got an error that my hd was full. That's odd, I thought. I reparition and give / another 1Gb so I can boot. Once I'm in, I see that the file /var/log/messages is about 2Gb. That's *really* weird, I didn't even think I could have files that big! The file is full, as in every single line, with messages from my firewall. I block the addy, and another appears, and another and another. Finally, after blocking about ten or so addy's, the messages stop appearing so fast, although they still appear quite frequently now.

The problem:

Since this event, I've been unable to maintain any sort of uptime. My box freezes solid *everytime* after about two hours. I can't figure it out. There's nothing out of the ordinary in any logs that I've looked in. Here's what I've tried:
    1. noapic, nolapic boot option
    2. removing all sorts of services including power management
    3. uninstalling the nvidia drivers (NForce MB only, not the Gforece video drivers)
    4. running memtest86 for hours
    5. blowing air conditioned air directly from my AC vent to the open box via a 15" fan (in case it was over heating)
    6. and finally, I tried every cron job on it's own to make sure those weren't doing it.

I'm running out of things to try. Short of completely re-installing the OS, I don't know what to do. At this point, I'm pretty much willing to try anything.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

jeremy1701, this sounds exactly like the problem Sager is having, however, he has had it a lot longer than you... i have been racking my brains for time doing this, and even an update from SuSE 9.2 -> 9.3 and a clean install of SuSE 9.3 didn't solve the problem for him. (iirc) his FC is doing the same, so it's not a distro thing.

Maybe it's something to do with the /var/log/mesages thing. Maybe try turning the firewall off for a few days (if it's not the most external computer), and see if it stays up....

Could just be getting people try and hit you, causing LOTS of blocks filling the hdd.

It's weird, cos Sager (at the mo) has a couple of days uptime, yet he has had it down at 2hours or so.

That's the only thing i can think from what you have said.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Guru
    What kind of board is Sager running? I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, with an Nvidia Gforce FX5500.

Jeremy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    it's his Lappy (Sager notebook), he's best off tellin u that info hehe
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

rather than shut down your firewall (bad idea) try quieting the verbosity of the logs, if your literally getting hundreds or thousands of hits a second, simply trying to have that many streams writing to the hd might be a big problem. Better, get a log rotater working (it automatically breaks your log files into smaller files, compresses them, and after long enough, it deletes old ones)

http://maconlinux.net/linux-man-page...atelogs.8.html

kinda what I'm talking about, webmin has a module for it witch might help.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Guru
    Qub, I have turned down the verbosity of the firewall to warnings only as it was at info level. I thought for sure that would do it, but alas it didn't work.

I'm all out of ideas. Anyone else?

does your syslog rotate? It shouldn't be able to hold that much garbage?
    paste your results of df -h
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    it's his Lappy (Sager notebook), he's best off tellin u that info hehe
    Its a 3000 dollar (in aug 2003) laptop.
    Sager 8890v,(Sager makes lappies for Alienware) the motherboard is a Clevo, P4 3.2HT, 1 gig of ddr400 ram, (which I have replaced), Dual internal 80 gig drives (I have tried FC3 and Suse 9.3 on both drives),Radeon 9600pro mobility M10 graphics, Toshiba internal dvdrw, Internal TV tuner, Gigabit lan adapter
    I have checked the Sager forums, and it doesn't seem to be a problem I can find anyone else having there.

I too had a massive log file which caused it not to boot one time, i reduced its size and was able to boot just like you.

I am guessing it must be some sort of module issue, but god only knows which one, let me know if you ever figure it out.

Linux Guru
    And the narrowing down continues...

Last night I changed Samba from becoming the master domain browser. I did this becuase after I turned down the .info in /etc/syslog.conf, that was the only line still showing up in /var/log/messages. This kept my system from freezing for a hole five (that's right: 5, V, 101, 2.360679775^2) hours, two times.

This leads me to believe that it must be some sort of log problem. Maybe a HD problem, I don't know. Like I said before, I changed nothing and then I started getting this problem.

I also found the only error to occur at the exact same time as the system freeze, and that was a cups error related to Samba. "NT_STATUS_DENIED will try again in 60 seconds" appears in /var/log/cupsd/error every 60 seconds from time I started my system till the time it exact time crashed. I shut down cups all together. We'll see how that goes.

Keep your fingers crossed!
    Jeremy

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    And the narrowing down continues...

Last night I changed Samba from becoming the master domain browser. I did this becuase after I turned down the .info in /etc/syslog.conf, that was the only line still showing up in /var/log/messages. This kept my system from freezing for a hole five (that's right: 5, V, 101, 2.360679775^2) hours, two times.

This leads me to believe that it must be some sort of log problem. Maybe a HD problem, I don't know. Like I said before, I changed nothing and then I started getting this problem.

I also found the only error to occur at the exact same time as the system freeze, and that was a cups error related to Samba. "NT_STATUS_DENIED will try again in 60 seconds" appears in /var/log/cupsd/error every 60 seconds from time I started my system till the time it exact time crashed. I shut down cups all together. We'll see how that goes.

Keep your fingers crossed!
    Jeremy
    I don't use samba, so that shouldn't be my problem.
    Since I changed my memory, I have not done a new installation , I am wondering if, if the memory was bad, maybe the data on the drive was corrupted somehow, I think that is my next step, when I feel like getting around to it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast