Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have Verizon Online DSL. I am running a Windows XP/RedHat 7.2 dual boot and I can't get online within Linux. I ran IP config in Windows to get all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

verizon online DSL

I have Verizon Online DSL. I am running a Windows XP/RedHat 7.2 dual boot and I can't get online within Linux. I ran IP config in Windows to get all the necessary numbers. I then booted to Linux and put in all the information. It still doesn't work. I called Verizon and asked a tech. I was told that Verizon DSL does not support Linux. Is this true? Am I going to have to switch Internet Providers or be stuck using Windows XP to surf? Or is there some seceret trick I don't know?

Linux Guru
    What interface do you have to the modem? Is it ethernet, USB, PCI, etc?

Linux User
    and please tell us as much as you can about the modem that you have (ill assume it's USB, those seem to be the most common) - we need model, brand, etc and we can try to help you find a driver
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Try typing this in the console: dhcpcd eth0. That should take care of everything unless you use pppoe to connect. That is if you are connecting your modem to your box with cat5.

Linux Guru
    I would have thought, too, that it would be the most common, but as it turns out, most people don't connect their modems via ethernet, but via USB. Seems kind of stupid, but it seems to be the way it is.

Linux Engineer
    As a former sys admin at comcast, we drilled it into our techs to always use usb whenever possible. Saves our call centers lots of calls and the techs having to make pointless house calls since its kinda hard to screw it up when using usb with windows. Basicly plug it in and it works. I remember back in Nov when a tech came to my house to install my cable modem and put a jack in the room. After he got the jack in he proceeded to connect my the cable modem to my box with the usb. He just sat there and was like, "uhhh, i think you have a bad usb port. Its not working correctly." And he couldn't figure out why the install cd wouldn't run either. Then I tried to explain that it was linux to him(never try to explain linux to a comcast tech, since most are just hs grads with about 2 weeks of pc training) and he was like "yeah whatever, let me call the office and see how much we charge for linux installations." I just laughed and then kicked him out of my house.

Just Joined!
    The modem is a Westell C-90. I am connected to my onboard LAN. I am connected using PPPOE. Why do I have a feeling that i'm SOL? My tech instructor told me as long as I could get my IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS , that it should work.

Linux Engineer
    THere is a linux pppoe client that you can use. I forget the name but if you search for it on www.freshmeat.net I am sure you will find it there.

Just Joined!
    The modem is a Westell WireSpeed C-90-36R516-01 (external of course) that is connected to my onboard LAN. I am connected using PPPOE. Why do I have this sinking feeling that i'm SOL? My tech instructor told me as long as I could get my IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS , that it should work.

Just Joined!
    I downloaded the file rp-ppoe-3.5-1.src.rpm I burned it to CD. From the
    cdrom directory I typed rpm --rebuild rp-ppoe-3.5-1.src.rpm. then i typed rpm -ivh rp-ppoe-3.5-1.src.rpm and it installed 100%. What would the next step be? is there anything I have to configure?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast