Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello evryone.... basically, i am new to linux and all unix base systems... (not new to computers though.. ) I joined this forum and right a way I have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hello and Help... :)

hello evryone....
    basically, i am new to linux and all unix base systems... (not new to computers though.. )
    I joined this forum and right a way I have a question for... you.... (I'm sure I'm not the only one who had this 1....)
    ok,.. so.. whole my life I was using Windows... and now I'd like to switch to linux/unix based OS, and the question I got is 'which one should I pick??'
    I am a fast learner and a starting programmer and network Admin... and I'm not really afraid of some 'hardcore' linux os.. (except slackware... which i use to have earlyer..)
    I'm looking for something which could basically interchange some soft I used on Win......... you know... like Office.. and other handy stuff... (well... that's just for the beginning untill I get use to the OS.. )

please help :o

Linux Engineer
    I would suggest you to try Redhat or Mandrake for your first Linux experience, and open office instead of MS office. Rh and mandrake are pretty slick and fastlearning. They are pretty documented also, so you cane read you in on it quickly. Try Redhat 8 or 9 and see if you like it.
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    Hey,...
    I tried RedHat and it was too easy for me... and I'm pretending Mandrake is going to be somewhere close to it....
    maybe there is something, which is a little easyer then Slackware... but not as easy as RedHat......... right now I'm actually running knoppix from the cd... (it seams very fine to me... but I can't do much with it.. )

What about Debian or SuSE???... what do you think about those guys?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Try Debian. i never have but i think its easyer then slack. im using slackware right now......and i think that its the second most "hardcore" and Gentoo being the first....but they are all realativly the same. seeing as you can practicly make any distro the same as the next. just takes time and knowledge.

Linux Guru
    Try gentoo, I really like that one. It takes several hours to get everything compiled, but you get a good system.

Just Joined!
    thanx for the replies mates... I think I'll try them both... 1 by 1... starting with debian I gues... lol...
    thnx again .. (more questions are comming.. lol )
    (for now.. I'm backing up all my WinXP files.. .... kinda takes a while.. lol)
    :o

Linux User
    If you are going to Attempt Gentoo make sure you know what your doing before starting.

Just Joined!
    BmxFace:::
    I see,.. thanx