Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello...How do we change the icons in linux with our custom icons.(i've downloaded some) Can we use .png files as icons?? please tell me how.. Thanks in advance....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Icons

Hello...How do we change the icons in linux with our custom icons.(i've downloaded some)
    Can we use .png files as icons?? please tell me how..
    Thanks in advance.

Depending on what desktop you're using (most popular are KDE and Gnome), you can edit desktop icons by right-clicking on them and going to "Properties".. from there in KDE you can just click on the icon, choose the new one, and hit OK.

If you want to change the icons in your menubar, that requires editing the menubar itself. In KDE you can do this by right-clicking on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen and going to "Customize". Look for a button that says "Edit K Menu". From there you can edit all the icons, add/remove shortcuts, etc. Keep in mind these directions are general since I'm not looking at a KDE screen at the moment.

As for using .PNG files, I really don't know. I do know that you can convert just about any image into an icon format (.XPM) using ImageMagick from the command line:
    Code:
    convert myNewIcon.png myNewIcon.xpm
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Thanks

Hii..
    I'm using KDE...and ur procedure worked
    thank u so much
    and know what we can use png files also as icons, by proceeding as above
    Thanks once again

4. $spacer_open