Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have some files on a linux ex2 partition and i want to copy them on a vfat windows partition. When i copy them nothing seems to be wrong , ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot copy files from linux to windows.

I have some files on a linux ex2 partition and i want to copy them on a vfat windows partition. When i copy them nothing seems to be wrong , i see them , but when i restart the computer and access the vfat partitions from windows xp pro , i see it as i were before , without the new copyed files .. why ?
    I tryed to copy the files from a slackware 10 (2.6.2) and a mandrake 10 , same result...
    thanks in advance

scm
    Linux Engineer
    How are you restarting the computer? Have you unmounted the vfat filesystem before you do? The data may be cached in memory and not written to the device until it's unmounted. I had this problem with a floppy disc a while back - copied a 900KB file to the floppy and it seemed to be there, but when I unmounted the floppy, it took ages because it was flushing its buffers.

Just Joined!
    yes , i have unmounted the partition , umount -a , the os does it automaticly though , i tried both ways , and then "reboot"..
    i tried mounting the device , copying the files , unmounting the dev and mounting in back again.. the files are there
    no other system can see them

for example . i have mandrake 10 on the same pc and when i reboot from slack into drake , drake does not see the files eather , i tried copying the files from slacks ex2 partition when i was in mandrake to windows , rebooted , still nothing , windows does not see the files..

i cant figure out where they go too..

Writing to NTFS from linux is not a good idea.
    It is not well supported yet.
    If you really need to write to NTFS, do a Google search for "captive-ntfs"
    You would probably be better off putting the info on some sort of medium, Fat32 partition cd or USB stick. and transferring them that way.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    i`m not trying to copy the files to an ntfs partition , the partition is vfat ...
    The files are copyed from a ex2 fs to a fat32 fs.
    This must be the weirdest thing that has happend to me since i`ve been using linux..

Linux Newbie
    Well if you can't get that working you could try explore2fs I use it for copying files to my NTFS drives, it works pretty well.