Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All! I was wandering if anyone has thought if it will be possible to install a linux OS and windows OS in the same computer and with two processors ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux & Win lilke Mac & DOS in Quadra610

Hello All!
    I was wandering if anyone has thought if it will be possible to install a linux OS and windows OS in the same computer and with two processors run them at the same time and sharing memory so you can make copy in windows and then make paste in linux and viceversa.

If it was possible 12 years ago with Macintosh quadra 610 why not today with any dual system?

For thouse who don't know Apple launched a model in 1993 Called Quadra 610PC which has tow processors: one Motorola 6040 (for Running MacOS) and an Intel 486SX (for running DOS) and both operative systems can run at the same time and you can select and copy some text in one of them and then paste in the other you can change from one operative system to the other inthe same way you change from one virtual tty to another

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...uadra_610.html

I hope some one will know anything about it, its only a curiosity, but it could be very usefull in some places (like my lab)

apaa10
    txino !.!.

The nearest thing I have heard of is Xen, but I'm not sure about it on SMP. Did this old PC have it's own OS manging the other two?

Linux Enthusiast
    Its probaly possible, but I am not really sure how it would work

Linux Newbie
    you can kinda acheive that with virtual machines, since your cpu is sitting idle most of the time anyway (well mine is, maybe you guys do more than just play supertux all day!)

yeah, i think xen is something of the kind.

Also, check out qemu, ive used it to run windows xp from within linux, not hard to do really, not 100% sure weather u could copy from one to the other, but im sure it could be done.

I think one important thing to remeber is that (in those days at least) macs use one kind of cpu, and win/dos used another, so having two was prehaps the simplest way of acheiving the results. However, linux and windows can operate under the same cpu, the os is written for the same instruction set, so the work involved in simply allowing both to run at the same time is a lot less.

Just Joined!
    My god, I had forgotten about those horrible Quadras. We had one of those in our high school as they bought into the whole 'buy a bunch of Apples and get them cheap!' deal Apple runs, but one class had to run a peice of Windows-only software. It makes me shudder just thinking about it.

You're better off looking into Xen (which doesn't run Windows at this point I believe, due to licensing restrictions) or Qemu. Qemu actually runs pretty nicely, I've installed Windows 2000 on it to play around with as VMWare is too expensive for my tastes.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    The nearest thing I have heard of is Xen, but I'm not sure about it on SMP. Did this old PC have it's own OS manging the other two?
    The machine was basically two computers (a MacOS computer and a Windows computer) as it had two seperate CPUs. One way to think about it was they took the Mac hardware and Intel hardware, put them in a box, and stuck a soft KVM switch inside. The performance wasn't anything grand, but then again it was only 25mhz

Just Joined!

Problem Starting Qemu

Problem Starting Qemu ...

... I still have none, apart from not knowing where to download it.

any links ?

10x.

Just Joined!

Re: Problem Starting Qemu

Quote Originally Posted by igarn
    Problem Starting Qemu ...

... I still have none, apart from not knowing where to download it.

any links ?

10x.
    I used this when I was using Ubuntu:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...t=windows+free

Obviously you probably can't use 'apt-get' to download and install Qemu unless you have apt installed, but it's pretty detailed on getting Windows installed