Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey...Im kind of new to the forum...But I was simply wondering around if some of you guys could get me a step ahead on how to make a linux distribution ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to make a linux Distribution

Hey...Im kind of new to the forum...But I was simply wondering around if some of you guys could get me a step ahead on how to make a linux distribution based on red hat....Im just curious about it, cause i really dont have much experience...But Im simply curious....

Thanks.. ! in advanced.

If you really want to know the gory details of what makes a Linux distribution, you might consider Linux From Scratch (link). Be warned, though, it's not for the faint of heart.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    I'd start with Pocket Linux Guide (PDF format). I just finished that, and I have to say it was quite an experience. I liked the way the guide was written as opposed to some of the others floppy linux guides because you end up with a nice little system every chapter, that way you don't get side tracked (which always happens to me).

From there, I think you can go into the LFS guide, which is about 100-times more difficult than the Pocket Linux Guide, but at least you'll have some understanding of what's going on.

Just Joined!
    There's also Gentoo which has excellent documentation. Also you could try creating your own liveCD, using either Knoppix, Morphix etc... Or you could check out an app called Ibuild which seems to make the process of creating your own liveCD less painless.

Of these I've only installed Gentoo (3 times) it's a long process but what I got (learned a lot about linux internals, which helped out greatly when I ran into problems/configured on other linux systems.) in return was invaluable.

Linux User
    There's a difference between an OS and a distribution of an OS. A distro is just the collection of packages that happens to come with the OS and, as such, is fairly easy to make...
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

I've removed what I see to be pointless insulting posts about this thread's original poster. This thread is not going anywhere useful, so it is now locked. Please do not insult other members of the forum, regardless of how silly you may find their questions.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants