Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I just built a little computer out of a bunch of old dead towers sitting in my basement. Its not a great machine. Heres the specs: celeron 466 256 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A quick Question

Hello,
    I just built a little computer out of a bunch of old dead towers sitting in my basement. Its not a great machine.
    Heres the specs:

celeron 466
    256 megs sdram
    32 med on board video (i'm pretty sure its 32 (no os installed yet))
    20 gig hdd
    52x CD-Rom

Heres the problem:
    I wanted a 2nd little linux box just for surfing the net and word proccessing,
    so this was perfect. I put Mandrake 9.1 on it and it ran just a little too slow for me (okay alot to slow) I'm thinking its just the hardware slowing it down. The last time I had a machine like this (it was good) I had mandrake 7.1 on it. I was hoping someone could suggest the right release of linux for a machine like this, I'd like to use mandrake but I don't want to back pedal all the way back to 7.1 if I don't have to. Also I've been thinking of switching to RedHat. Any ideas???
    Thanks,
    Kris Tanner

Since it's not a main box, then I'd suggest Gentoo. It will take awhile to get installed on that slow of a machine (from Stage1), but it will run optimized for that machine.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Thanks

gentoo is also my pick if you know what your doing with linux. cause there is no installer but it is really fun to get running and i dont know maybe this is jst the programmer in my but its exciting when you get it running.

i always get excited when i get a computer to do what i want.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Engineer
    i think we all enjoy bending computers to our will.. if we didn't, we would just use whatever flavor of windows mr. gates has decided to force upon this year... after switching back to linux (a long story having to do with not actually *owning* the computer i was using), i find it very tiring and boring working with my mom and dad's XP box.. i actually managed to crash it 5 mins. after setting it up...

Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    i actually managed to crash it 5 mins. after setting it up...
    It took you that long, eh?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I found XP to be very stable not as good as 2k though.

Linux Engineer
    i can't even remember what i was doing... all i remember was that i got a BSOD very quickly after booting XP.... it made me made and i cussed our wonderful friend bill for a while after that...

Just Joined!
    To be honest I was really suprised with XP they did a decent job of imitating a operating system this time and it only took them something like 22 years. GOOD FOR BILLY. But I think its way too little way too late, and it still fits the whole 'windows is to operating systems as using aol is to using the internet on a real browser (i.e. opera)'. Not to mention the whole evil gaint coperation spying on you with secret logs kept on your computer and so forth.

ok I had my tiny rant
    thank you