Find the answer to your Linux question:
i just want to let you guys know i finally hacked something on my own ok well i dind hack as much as just trial and error but i got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WOOOHOOO!!!!!

i just want to let you guys know i finally hacked something on my own ok well i dind hack as much as just trial and error but i got it i finally got it to work my D-Link DWL 650 when i installed it it kept comming up with a lucent orinoco and i thought well if its comming up with that its got to be right but i forgot the one true fact...computers lie... so i did some research looking for a compatible wifi card and found thaqt D-Link was infact supported by my distro of red hat (2.4.20-60 for all you real geeks) and saw that a D-Link DE 650 was supported sooo i went looking for this card and could find it no where on the net... so this lead me to think that this card was either to old to find or just didnt exist so i went directly to the D-link web site and found that it dosent so then i said Ah HA red hat is liyng to me so i set the drivers for a D-link DE 650 set my essid and BAM!!(ok forgive the Emeril joke) it worked!! im so happy i dont have a 30 foot tail any more
    just thought ide share my sucess with you guys and if anyone had the same trouble i did this will probally fix it.

once again
    fragment
    I00I0I

Linux Engineer
    What card did you have DWl 650 or DWL 650+, it seems like my dlink DWL650+ have a Texas instruments chip wich are giving me hell! But i have found a driver now, maybe it workes we will see....
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!

dlink pcmcia wireless card

I have a wirless pcmcia card. I cant get it to work either. My distro is mandrake 9.1. I says it has the driver for it or at least a generic one but when I try to activate it, it cant it states that the device is not functioning. I did go the dlink website but they have this freakin script i need to run( or at least i think its a script) anyways. I saw all that and was detered from further exploration. I was wondering is yours a laptop or a pc with wireless card in it. Another thing I heard is that hese cards use pretty much the same driver? Anyway any tips are welcome my config again is a
    dell inspiron 8000 with 700mhz and a wirless dlink pcmcia card.

thanks all

show

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ok what model is your d-link youll have to bare with me as i am very new to linux and red hat is the only distro i have played with so mandrake is not something i know to well but i do know a little about linux. my best guess would be not to trust the driver your disto comes up with but instead to find a driver in the driver list that best fits your wifi card (i have a DWL-650 but im using a DE-650 driver) whats even cooler i didnt have to put in a essid it picks one up atomatacly (witch means wardriving for me) if and one knows anything bout air snarfing give me a private message i would like to pick your brain on this subject but like i said try to pic the driver closest to your card( im guessing that madrake wanted to set your d-link card as an lucent orinoco) anyway write me back and let me know how it went for you

fragment
    I00I0I

Just Joined!
    well i got a DWL 650 but now i got other problems when i go to the network controll pannel it says:

eth1 has an alias to module pcnet_cs.conf in modules.conf instead of currenty loaded module orinoco_cs!

now like i said first i tried to install it as and lucent orinoco prism based pcmcia wireless card but like i said it didnt work so i set it to a D-link DE 650 and it works but now my ithernet radio is kinda scratchy and i would like to get rid of this problem if i could sooo plz let me know whats up

Linux Guru
    Edit /etc/modules.conf and change the eth1 alias to orinoco_cs.