Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed the stock VMWARE that is shipped with SuSE 8.1 -> I then realized that I had version 4 so I used YAST and uninstalled the version of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

reboots and kernel modules

I recently installed the stock VMWARE that is shipped with SuSE 8.1 -> I then realized that I had version 4 so I used YAST and uninstalled the version of vmware that I had previously setup... When I tried to install the new one I kept getting error messages about a kernel module already existing... I deleted them from my /lib/modules/kernel/..../net directory but I kept getting the same error... After I reboot I reinstalled and VIOLA! it worked fine...

Why did I have to reboot and is there a way around this??

Cole

Just Joined!
    im guessing that it was probally already running in RAM try using "top" from the terminal to see if it is running if it is use kill with the pid # for the app that should work but i am also a uber noob but i have a lot of exp with computers in general so this might help but i dont know

fragment
    I00I0I

Linux Newbie

newbs and boobs

to my knowledge, kernel modules don't show up in top technically... Also to my knowledge they're not killable as though I would kill the sound server or netscape because it crashes...

an easier way to kill stuff, netscape for example...

Code:
    killall -9 netscape
    artsd perhaps?

Code:
    killall -9 artsd
    you get the idea -

Cole

Linux Engineer
    Your vmwaremodule was probebly loaded, then the system things its up and running, with the command lsmod you can see which modules that are currently loaded on your system.

With rmmod you can unload running modules. That have probebly solved your problem without having to reboot your system. With insmod and modprobe you can load/start modules.
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    well this is very helpfull to know that kernal moddules will not show up in top and all that other stuff it has now been sucesfully loaded in memory -=].

fragment
    I00I0I

Linux Guru
    top only shows running processes. Loaded kernel modules can be listed with "lsmod".