Find the answer to your Linux question:
which file do you put paths and other things so they are loaded on startup, and i don't have to set them everytime? like i wanna alias some mounting and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

which file for setting paths, aliases, etc...

which file do you put paths and other things so they are loaded on startup, and i don't have to set them everytime? like i wanna alias some mounting and unmounting i always do on 2 drive partitions in FAT format, as well as other stuff.

i thought i found this already as i was going through init/config/rc files but i'm not just sure, and there were a lot of redundancies. i might do something to wreck havoc in my linux so i just want to verify first, before i do something crazy...

Linux Engineer
    For mounting filesystems on bootup you just have to add them in /etc/fstab, variables and stuff that everyusers should have you add to /etc/profile for specific user ~/.bash_profile.
    Regards

Andutt

Linux User
    ok, thanks andutt!

Linux User
    oh, btw, i've read somewhere that it's not good practice to mount other filesystems, like winbloze, on startup. how true is this? so instead i'd just like to alias the whole mount procedure into something like a "mountmywin" alias...

what do you think?

Linux Guru
    I don't see anything wrong at all with mounting it on startup.

Linux User
    ok, i'll just be on the safe side than be sorry. although, i for one (and i don't even know much about linux, not yet) don't think there's anything wrong with the idea of automounting it on startup. but a few keyboard strokes won't matter anyway. besides, the only reason why i mount FAT drives is playing my mp3s and oggs...

btw, if the mp3 legal issue is the reason why it's not "inlcuded" in the past distro and the current one, how come when you mouse-over an mp3 file it's played? won't this be a "violation," so to speak?

Linux Guru
    Can it play it before you installed MP3 support?! However can that be done? They must have missed something somewhere.

Linux User
    it plays even if there is no plug-in. i've tried it. it's something they missed.