Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've already installed Gentoo distro.. I'm curious though. Does XFree need to be installed before I can get KDE or GNOME to work. Is XFree like a base foundation that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Initial Install Question???

I've already installed Gentoo distro.. I'm curious though. Does XFree need to be installed before I can get KDE or GNOME to work.

Is XFree like a base foundation that needs to be installed first?

Thanks,
    JB

Just Joined!
    In order for you to use Gnome or KDE you would have to install XWindows (XFree).

Linux Newbie
    Hmmmm..

I think that XFree comes with KDE because it is dependent upon it.

Thanks Kihbord..
    JB

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

XFREE

If im not mistaken. XFREE is the server that KDE and GNOME desktop managers run on top of.

So yes its necessary. See when you first install the xfree it allows you to configure it for specific settings like 800x600 or whatever resolution you like. You can also set up monitor and videocards.

If you only have xfree running on your box, then gnome is dependent on xfree. But if there are other xservers available gnome is not explicitly dependent on xfree.

Just Joined!
    XFree is a piece of software which lets you draw to your screen. KDE/Gnome/WindowMaker etc are what's called Window Managers. They do stuff like draw windows, menus, desktops and the like. So yes, you need xfree to use kde. However, the great thing about Gentoo is that you can just type the following:

Code:
    emerge kde
    And all dependencies will be installed. ( BTW, to see what those dependencies are, try
    Code:
    emerge -p kde
    Also, I suggest you check out the Gentoo desktop guide here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml

Good luck.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks Caffeine,

Yuppers..I noticed that when I emerged KDE that it installed xfree..

My curiousity question was brought about with how the Gentoo install Guide has you install XFree first and then install KDE..

So you've all answered and confirmed my questions. Thanks allot.

Gentoo Rocks......as long as your not emerging unstable apps. Dhopp....

Thanks,
    JB

Linux User
    I think they have you emerge xfree first so you can do (and then test) the configuration before you install KDE or Gnome.

Linux Newbie
    Yea, that makes sense...

Seems like a waste of a step and time when all you need to do is reboot after the install is complete, and then your booting off the HD at this point and emerge KDE of the 2nd CD...this automatically installs XFREE first..

Oh well.. Just curious.

Hey, SiezedPropaganda..

How do I get the "Powered by Gentoo" logo into my signature?

I've read the BBcode instructions but I'm still a little unclear on what I need to do.. Is this picture a static one on "linuxforums" server or is this just a link to Gentoo's site to grab the picture?

Thanks,
    JB

Linux User
    I saved the picture from the Gentoo site and put it on my friends server, so it's being hosted from that. I don't think Gentoo would like it too much if I linked it directly to their site and stole their bandwidth (I'm sure my friend wouldn't be too enthusiastic if he knew, either ). The code is simple, it's just [img]url[/img].

Linux Newbie
    LOL

To funny..

Thanks,
    JB