Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just installed RedHat 9 on my PC. Works well, but it defaulted to GNOME. How do I get it to switch to KDE? Thanks -------------------S...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I switch from GNOME to KDE?

I just installed RedHat 9 on my PC. Works well, but it defaulted to GNOME. How do I get it to switch to KDE?

Thanks

-------------------S

Linux Guru
    Before you log in, you can use the "Sessions" menu at the bottom of the screen to change your preferred desktop environment.

Just Joined!

No KDE!!

I looked, and it appears that there is no KDE installed. Is there a way to install it?

I was under the impression that both GNOME and KDE would install with the standard download of Shrike from the RedHat site.

Thanks

---------------------S

Linux Guru
    The default installation option only installs GNOME, not KDE. You should be able to start the package manager from within GNOME and add KDE afterwards.

Just Joined!

KDE vs GNOME

What are the advantages/disadvantages of KDE vs. GNOME. I did not know what I was running until earlier today after reading this post. Pretty fumb, huh.

MB

Just Joined!

Well

I have been told that KDE is the more "serious" of the two. When people install various distributions of Linux, KDE is usually the default window manager.

Other than that, I don't know anything about abilities or optimizations.

Linux Guru
    I would no doubt say that GNOME is more "serious" than KDE. However, except for programming stuff, I'd say that there aren't really any advantages of using one or the other. It's just like choosing a distro; it depends on your taste.

Just Joined!

Maya

So I should be able to run Maya 5 in GNOME?

Also, how do I download and install KDE?

Thanks

Linux Guru
    I see no reason why Maya wouldn't run in GNOME; you can even run KDE programs from GNOME.
    However, if Maya uses any KDE libs, then you will need to have KDE installed, whether or not you actually use it.
    KDE comes on the installation CDs, so just use RedHat's package manager to add it. No need to re-download what you already have (provided that you didn't do a network install of RedHat, of course).

Just Joined!

ok

I'll look around for the package manager and see if I can figure out how to install it. This stuff is very new to me.

Thanks for all the help!

--------------------------------------S

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast