Find the answer to your Linux question:
Having a prob with opening email attachments using KONTACT. Here are the specifics: Mandriva 10.2-NO WINDOWS PERIOD! I have weaned myself from Microsoft. KDE 3.3.2, Kernel2.6.11-6mdk Kquickshow works fine. However, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KONTACT email attachments

Having a prob with opening email attachments using KONTACT. Here are the specifics:

Mandriva 10.2-NO WINDOWS PERIOD! I have weaned myself from Microsoft.
    KDE 3.3.2, Kernel2.6.11-6mdk

Kquickshow works fine. However, not always with .jpeg images. Now, with URL's it never works. I am taken to the window about "Which Application Do You Want to Open"...have tried basically everything but it never opens up the attachment. I have no idea now about which application to use that will enable me to open up the attachment.

I attempted to run updatedb as root, but nothing happened in the terminal window. What am I missing?

Help an old man out with this prob. I AM THE ONLY PERSON THAT I KNOW THAT EVEN USES LINUX, EVERYONE ELSE OF COURSE RUNS WINDOWS, WHICH I HATE.

preciate it.......... :twisted:

o what you are saying is when someone sends you a html link in an email, kontact doesn't know how to treat it? Or what is the attachment that you are trying to open? Is it a word document, movie of some kind, music?

if it is just html links, try this

goto kde control center
    -> KDE components
    -> Component Chooser

Select web-browser and choose your preffered browser from the Internet -> Web Browser menu, e.g. Firefox, Mozilla etc.

hope this helps.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

KONTACT email attachments

AllexK,

Much thanx for your reply. Here is what I am seeing from Mandriva.

1.) First of all there is no KDE Control Center. When I click on Menu, Configure your computer, and enter root pword, here is what I see:

2.) MadrakeLinux Control Center with the following TABS to the left of the screen:
    A.) SOFTWARE MANAGEMENT
    B.) ONLINE ADMINISTRATION
    C.) HARDWARE
    D.) NETWORK & INTERNET
    E.) SYSTEM
    F.) MOUNT POINTS
    G.) SECURITY
    H.) BOOT

Of course, with SOFTWARE MANAGEMENT I am able to install or remove software. I did a search for KDE CONTROL CENTER with no results. I am not sure if there is a package that I need to install, maybe some sort of rpm or kde package that will enable me to have the kde control center, or is Mandriva the only control center, i.e., does Mandriva tend to "take over" your system and put kde on the back seat?

FYI, the attachments that I are unable to open are URL's. Also at times, I am unable to open .jpeg attachments with Kquickshow, and at other times it works fine using KONTACT.

Also, remember that I am new to Mandriva, but AM TOTALLY COMMITTED TO LINUX AND HAVE COMPLETELY WIPED ALL WINDOWS COMPONENTS OFF MY BOX. THIS IS STRICTLY A LINUX BOX. BASICALLY IF SOMEONE GAVE ME A WINDOWS BOX, I WOULD SELL IT, I WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH MICROSOFT.

GIVE A NEWBIE BRO SOME HELP, ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED.

What you have described is MCC (Mandrake COntrol Center), this is where you make system wide changes relating to hardware, netorks etc.

KDE control center on the other hand is installed by default with KDE. In the KMenu (Start menu Equivalent), is there a "Control Center" option in the main menu which opens up and not any of the sub menus? Or in menu -> Settings -> Control Center?

The KDE control center requires no root password to change things, it is for users to select screensavers, desktops, change file asscoiations etc...

Just Joined!

KONTACT EMAIL ATTACHMENTS

Alex,

Kind thanx for your reply. Your info sounded very reasonable and was very easy to understand, so I thought, no prob. I can figure this out pretty easily. Wrong. Here is what I am seeing, maybe this will help you out.

MENU

Most Used Applications
    1.) Configure your computer
    2.) Configure your desktop
    3.) OpenOffice.org Writer
    4.) KPPP
    5.) KONTACT

All Applications
    1.) Office
    2.) Internet
    3.) Multimedia
    4.) System
    5.) More Applications
    6.) Home

Actions
    1.) Find
    2.) Recent documents
    3.) Run command
    4.) Start new session
    5.) Lock session
    6.) Logout

Now, when I go under SYSTEM, CONFIGURATION, KDE, here is what I see:
    1.) Accessibility
    2.) Components
    3.) Information
    4.) LookNFeel
    5.) Network
    6.) Peripherals
    7.) Power Control
    8.) Security
    9.) Sound
    10.) System
    11.) Web browsing

I have looked under all of the above but have found no KDE Control Panel. If like you said it was offered by default (as I chose KDE over GNOME) then is there some additional program that I am missing with KDE? Like I said, your answer was extremely clear and easy to understand which I appreciate. That is why I wrote down all of the above before responding to allow a clearer pic to you about what is on my desktop. I hope some of this helps, and I want to kindly thank you for all your help and patience with me. The more I can learn from individuals like yourself, the more that I will be able to spread the Linux Gospel to all these Microsoft freaks.

Appreciate it,

Bob

Ok, so the current version of Mandriva doesn't have the Kde control Center. But, however, the System -> Configuration -> KDE is what you are looking for. It seems that mandriva has done away with the basic kde control center and replaced it with menus, but that is no problem.

Now, in the System -> Configuration -> KDE, select Components, then under web browser option, select firefox or mozilla as the default webbrowser and kontact will look here and launch firefox for the urls and the like.

also, in this menu, you can change the file assocations for jpegs gifs and the like. Instead of selecting components in the above step, select File Associations -> image then scroll down to jpeg and make sure that either XV or Gwenview or xzgv is used for viewing the images. If none of those work, try putting the gimp rather than XV or Gwenview.

Hope this helps.