Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hey, guys... i was digging around on sourceforge today to see if i could find an ebuild for the newest amsn (which i didn't )... but i did find out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

gentoo users

hey, guys... i was digging around on sourceforge today to see if i could find an ebuild for the newest amsn (which i didn't )... but i did find out that there are several GUI frontends being worked on for portage/emerge..... just thought you might wanna know if you didn't already...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Newbie
    why not use Gaim? just wondering. never tried amsn though.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

Linux Engineer
    wrong thread, quickdraw.. but to answer your question, i have been :P... and i use the msn protocol because i know quite a few people on that particular network... and that sucks because after oct 15 i won't be able to talk to them unless i can convince them all to switch to another im prog......
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i think they will find ways around it and we will beable to use msn still casue yeah that would really suck cause everyone i talk to is on msn and my msn buddy list is like 95 ppl on it
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Newbie
    wow ive missed something. is microsoct being its usually crappy self and denying MSN server access to outside clients or something? if so then yea ill be ticked too. aside from IRC its my fave protocol to use.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

yep they are goin to make it so if you dont have one of the newest msn messengers you cant access the server and if you want to make a third part client you have to pay a lisencing fee its pretty dumb but it is there server so i guess they can do what ever they want.

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/msn.php

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...tid=187&tid=95
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

This is why I'm an ICQ/IRC guy. I didn't have AIM until I went to college and all my friends there used it...and it's easier to use AIM than to try to convince all those !computer literate people that IRC was the way to go...
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    I think the latest version of gaim supports the new protocol.

I dont get the message from the MSN Staff with the latest verson of gaim for either Linux or Windows

Well...that's true. I don't get that anymore, either (though I think it's because I msgd them back ). But I was under the impression that they were going to stop letting 3rd party clients connect to their servers period? Therefore protocol implementation in the clients wouldn't matter?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    ah, but they are *not* going to completely lock-out 3rd party software.. they're going to charge "licensing fees" to the developers, not the end-user.. what this amounts to is this: it become impossible for 3rd party developers to be able to afford giving away their software.. which means that a lot of them will either abandon the projects, try to crack the new protocols, or start charging the end-user... and since M$ will *not* write a messenger client for linux, they are basically cutting off everyone that doesn't use M$ or Apple OS's... anyone remember when M$ bought all of that apple stock to help fight the antitrust suit and keep apple from going under? they have a vested interest in the success of both Apple and Microsoft products.. so therefore, all else must die in their eyes...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast