Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I kinda like the idea of Xfce Yep, it's great for an older system. I had it running nicely (very quick) on an AMD K6-2 450Mhz with 256MB RAM....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I kinda like the idea of Xfce
    Yep, it's great for an older system. I had it running nicely (very quick) on an AMD K6-2 450Mhz with 256MB RAM.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    CLI capability is up there with GUI, until you get into multimedia - watching videos for example. Yes, you can watch ascii art videos, but that is silly to me. Same goes for viewing and editing photos - that is where GUI is obviously much better.
    Just as with web browsing, you in no way need X to have a fully graphical time viewing pictures or watching movies. This can all be done happily in cli.

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    MP3's - use mpg321 to play them.

I don't use X on my Slack partition and I love it. I am slowly getting used to it but find it to be very efficient.

Bryan
    What do you use your slack partition for??
    It's a build ground for a LiveCD I am currently working on.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Valan, what do you use to view videos in the console? I haven't come across any fb video players, so I'm curious. I know there's fbv, zgv, and fbi for photos...

Too bad I can't seem to get my framebuffer working properly. At least I can't get w3m or links working with it, I'm trying fbi and svgalib this weekend. It's really starting to get to me, to the point where I might even switch distros over it. Too bad I'd go insane without Arch's speedy boots.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Engineer
    I believe mplayer has a cli mode, and xine also has a cli front end. Or if you like it in ascii (sorry if you do) you can use aaxine.

Linux User
    Wow, crazy... I use mplayer all the time and I never realized it could use the framebuffer. That'll teach me not to read man pages.

Now I just need a decent text mode web browser with image support and I can get rid of X completely (or at least not start it)
    I got w3m working with inline images... god I wish I didn't waste so much time getting it to compile. Actually it compiled right away, it was a bug in Arch's ABS holding me back, not tarballing the stuff that goes into libexec.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2