Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok... i just rebuilt my kernel trying to get it to build the agpgart and tdfx modules.. when i compiled it (using genkernel --config), it gave me this error message ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

kernel module problems

ok... i just rebuilt my kernel trying to get it to build the agpgart and tdfx modules.. when i compiled it (using genkernel --config), it gave me this error message for a lot of modules:
    Code:
    depmod&#58; *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r6/kernel/drivers/<sub-dir>/<module>
    any ideas what in the world went wrong? and how do i fix it????

ps. i don't know if it ever built those two modules, either...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Engineer
    hmm.. i guess poking and prodding and recompiling 3 times is a decent way to unwittingly fix the problem... does anyone know what that means or why it happens??
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Yeh disable modules and dont use them. agpgart needs to be compiled into the kernel not as a module.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    "A driver can never work properly if there are unresolved symbols, as it means something is not going to work. Furthermore, it means that that something that would have been called will call something else in the kernel and this could be anything. This is very bad."

From the Linmodem howto.

Maybe do a make clean or mrproper and rebuild?

Linux Engineer
    well, i got rid of the unresolved symbols, but i still don't know what the hell agpgart is... could someone tell me what kernel option it is... and why in the world do i get corrupted screen when i try to load the kernel's 3dfx fb modules?? argh.. so frustrating

Dont compile it as a module, And agpgart is AGP support it cannot be compiled as a module.

EDIT: and what do you mean by kernel option??

Linux Engineer
    i mean where is it in the kernel config...

Linux Engineer
    i found agpgart in the weirdest of places (or at least i think it's strange since it seems to have something to do with DRI).. it was under FTape (floppy tape) support... ::shrugs:: now to figure out why i can't load the 3dfx console drivers..