Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright here's the deal, I'm building a webserver for my house and I'd like to use Debain. My problem is that I access this server by way of a KVM ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Debian Plug Yank

Alright here's the deal, I'm building a webserver for my house and I'd like to use Debain. My problem is that I access this server by way of a KVM switch. Everytime I change machines it's equilivent to yanking the plug and sticking it back in. When this happens Debian locks up and freezes on me. I'd like to know a way to set up the machine so switching plugs causes no problems at all.

Just Joined!
    Which one are you using?

I'm using an IOGEAR KVM (cost me $19.99 @ Micro Center), which I've had for about 9 months and I have never had a problem with it. It uses a hotkey (ScrLk) to make the switch. My mother also has an Belkin KVM which uses the "Ctrl" as the hotkey.
    We are both running Debian Sarge and FreeBSD.

I initially bought a switch because I fix a lot of computers (side venture) and I got tired of unplugging my main box.

Linux Guru
    Most KVMs spoof device input during the switch period so that there is no hotplug issue, or rediscovering of devices. What type is it?

Linux Newbie

Just Joined!
    Wow, very nice KVM, however it looks like the usb is the issue, can't really tell how to go about fixing that though. Sorry.

give this a go, if you haven't already:

http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html

peace V