Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm building a Linux server for a local company and I'm wondering if there's any problems running any apps on an AMD 64. So far I've only installed Linux on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Are there any problems with installing Linux on a 64-bit processor?

I'm building a Linux server for a local company and I'm wondering if there's any problems running any apps on an AMD 64. So far I've only installed Linux on a Pentium 4 and I've heard a major issue with Windows 64 is going to be that apps compiled written for a 32-bit are going to have to be run under an emulator. Is this an issue with Linux apps under a 64-bit chip set.

Hi HGeneAnthony,

I think that's gonna be a call only you will be able to make. You might just have to go ahead and do an install, then test the particular apps you're interested in running. As with all kernels and architectures, you're gonna have some that might not act correctly and some that will. I'd just install it and test it. That's what I do. If it works, it works, If it doesn't then thankfully Linux offer other avenues and solutions to make things happen. Good luck!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux User
    Do they need the 64bit OS its that for some apps you have to set up the 32bit libaries(precompiled 32-bit comercal software).