Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK i had installed linux fedora core on my computer. Now i have a better hard drive and it has windows on it when i put it in the computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows?

OK i had installed linux fedora core on my computer. Now i have a better hard drive and it has windows on it when i put it in the computer it wont boot, and i can no longer use any windows boot disks?
    HELP ME PLEASE

oz
    forum.guy
    You might need to check your BIOS settings relating to the new drive.

Re: Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by PC_Builder
    Now i have a better hard drive and it has windows on it when i put it in the computer it wont boot, and i can no longer use any windows boot disks? HELP ME PLEASE
    Now when you say that you have a disk with Windows on it, was installed on the disk in another computer? If so your chances of getting it to work are going to be difficult as more than likely the motherboard components are different (ie chipset..north/southbridge) . If it's a WinXP install you need to go into BIOS, set the CD to be first in the boot priority, boot from your WinXP install disk, go thru the normal install prcedure and then select repair installation. You will have to re-activate once this is done.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    no its a windows 2000 disk and when it gets to boot it says.
    error code 5
    if i take out disks and let it boot itcomes up to a blue error screen.

You still didn't answer the question as to whether or not the installation of Windows took place on the computer you're trying to boot with the drive.

If it came from another computer you can still perform a repair using a Win2k installation disk but the prefered method is to perform a fresh install when a different motherboard is used.

oz
    forum.guy
    If Windows was installed onto the drive when it was on different machine, you will run into some errors, unless the other machine had the same hardware. If it were me, I'd wipe the drive and then do a fresh Windows install later, or better yet, just leave Windows off of it altogether and maybe install a second Linux distro. Of course, I might be misunderstanding the question/situation.