Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed fedora on at least 100 computers (including redhat 7.3 from ... wow iv been dooing this a wile) to the point i cant seam to strip anything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Distro help, anyone

I have installed fedora on at least 100 computers (including redhat 7.3 from ... wow iv been dooing this a wile) to the point i cant seam to strip anything enough (thats recent) to work fast on an old computer

400Mhz
    64MB ram
    7ish gig HD
    16mb gc
    nic card

all i need is a basic gui and thunderbird (LOVE IT, HATE EVOLUTION) like email, gaim, open office (or like), and any browser.

i can install them myself i just need a distro that well be fast on thoese spects to start. i dont know anything but fedora and how to slap a knoppix cd in.

thanks

Just Joined!
    mabe damn small linux or slackware, my friend runs a 64mhz p1 with slackware running a low level desktop like xfce for example but yea try and distro with xfce

Linux Newbie
    debian sarge.................net install
    regards,
    ordoni

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Damn it is

Thanks

Banned
    You might want to try Yellowdog Linux. I heard it's very good for older, small computers. I haven't actually tried it, but I heard its a good solution.

Quote Originally Posted by DougMills
    You might want to try Yellowdog Linux. I heard it's very good for older, small computers. I haven't actually tried it, but I heard its a good solution.
    I think Yellowdog is for PPC only. A RH clone for PPC IIRC.

Linux Newbie
    IMHO it's not so critical which distro you use. KDE or GNOME will cause performance slowdown with any distro on machine like that. Install minimal configuration of desired distro with other window manager, WindowMaker for example, it's very resource saving.

On those specs, I'd go with Vector Standard (the new 5.1 just came out a little while ago). I'd also suggest abiword (for reading .doc files), openoffice will be a bit slow. Go with a light WM (Vector includes Xfce (my favourite), fluxbox, and I think IceWM as well). Also, in your place I would manually compile most of the programs. I'd just install the base sistem, a couple of WM's, thunderbird and firefox, then compile everything else (abiword, gaim, and possibly OOffice).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rootFORlife
    mabe damn small linux or slackware, my friend runs a 64mhz p1 with slackware running a low level desktop like xfce for example but yea try and distro with xfce
    Don't reccommend Slackware unless you're sure they are ready to deal with an old fashioned UNIX based Linux distribution.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    Don't reccommend Slackware unless you're sure they are ready to deal with an old fashioned UNIX based Linux distribution.
    I disagree. Sure, it's more work than Fedora, but much much less than Gentoo. And it's got great built-in support, in my opinion: Whenever a decision is needed during install, there are notes giving pros and cons as well as something like: "if you don't know what that means, better choose x". I think for anyone who has done a couple of installs and spent a few months with Linux would do well with Slackware.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better