Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
i have killed up2date many times in the middle of what it was doing - what i twill probably do is leave some of your RPM installs in a weird ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

i have killed up2date many times in the middle of what it was doing - what i twill probably do is leave some of your RPM installs in a weird tate - for example i tmay install the new package, and lave the old one installed ( so you have two versions of it installed)e

This is not usually a big deal, but later on may cause you problems and you would have to remove the second one (rpm -e old_package_name) so it's not that bad
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Engineer
    Uncapping your modem is easy if you want faster downloads. All you need to do is create a docsis config file on your box. Run a tftp and dhcp server. You can usually go to this ip http://192.168.100.1 to get the information from your modem. Set you box up to use the dhcp ip in the modems current config and set the cable modem as your gateway. Remove the cable line from your modem and restat it. Your modem with query the dhcp server(which will be your box) and download the config. After that, you will be uncapped.

Linux User
    now before anyone runs off and does this you should all be aware that this is theft of service, a violation of your cable providers TOS, and a federal offense (10 years and/or 10k)

Having said that feel free.

(gentee if you are going to post illegal stuff try to let people know, many people come here with no idea what is going on, feel free to tell them how (learning is one thing) )
    majorwoo

Linux Engineer
    Well I didn't think I had to tell ppl that theft of services is illegal but ok. Plus the ppl that "have no idea what is going on" wouldn't be competant enough to get this to work correctly anyway.

Linux User
    i doubt many people would know it was theft, they would think of it as no different then when we tell them to edit their config files and add some new lines...
    majorwoo

Just Joined!

current up2date stopped

In the end, the up2date I was running has come to an end - but un-intentionally - I was setting up another red hat machine to replace the server running up2date if necessary, and in the process accidentally switched of the server - it rebooted alright with no signs of damage, recovering from the illegal shutdown with no problems - so it is now running again as before.

Linux User
    so you gonna run up2date again?
    majorwoo

Just Joined!
    I may try up2date again on just one or two items at once, but will wait till I have the second red hat machine I am trying to get working properly in place and then I shall try the update on one of them on the LAN rather than running it on the web server - not such a problem then if things get out of hand - if I run in on just one package then I should have some idea of what is or is supposed to be happening. The new installation of red hat that I have on another 333MHz machine is giving me the run around at the moment re its samb/ping/internet connecting anomalies - I have posted a subject on this forum about it - it was the next subject after this one in the list earlier today. One moment samba is working and the next noe, ping works one way but not the other, internet works through one NIC but not the one I want it to!

Michael.

Linux User
    yeah I saw that post, Dolda said to try ethereal and watch what is going on...

let me know how that goes in the other thread when you do..
    majorwoo

Just Joined!

ethereal

yes, I hope to give Ethereal a go later in the week and shall post on the other thread when I have something - I work part-time and the working part of my week is just about to start - (I am a part-time student the rest of the week).

Michael.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast