Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm building a new computer soon -- maybe in one month. I own a copy of SUSE 9.3 Special Edition, but it's a bit slow on my specs, to say ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Damn Small Linux -- Help on HDD Install

I'm building a new computer soon -- maybe in one month. I own a copy of SUSE 9.3 Special Edition, but it's a bit slow on my specs, to say the least. I just booted to Damn Small Linux just to see a live distro in action -- and was very impressed with it, especially that it has Firefox -- the ONLY browser I will ever use -- preloaded. I got my dial up connection going in only 2 minutes. It will replace every other emergency bootdisk I've ever used, I love the thing so much.
    ANYWAY, I've discovered that it's possible to write the OS to a hard drive, which I really want to do so that I don't have to use Windows during my waiting period to install SUSE. The setup program says to create a Linux partition to write to before installing Damn Small to the hard drive -- and given that I'm a complete Linux n00b, I'm a little daunted by this.
    Any help?

Linux Enthusiast
    By a linux partition it means it needs some where to put all the files. I've done the install once before, but can't really remember how it goes, but for any linux system you'll need at least a swap partition (Windows calls it Virtual Memory) and a partition where you will put all you stuff (Windows usually designate "c:", but linux uses something different. If you don't know what a partition is, I suggest you read up. I really like this intro: Hands on Guide.
    It's a bit long as you can see, but definately worth a read. I think the 3rd chapter is where they talk about partitioning, so you might want to skip to there real fast and check out how it works and what you should do.

Linux Enthusiast
    I'm A+ certified, so I have no problem with Windows partitions or partitions in general. I just have no idea how to make a Linux partition.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Oh, same way you did it back with DOS, using fdisk (or cfdisk, which is a bit better). Just make sure that when you're done partitioning you go into the "Type" menu and use "Linux" as your "Type" of partition (I can't remember the number that's associated with it).

Linux Enthusiast
    Didn't read it before, but I have now, and it worked.
    Thanks