Find the answer to your Linux question:
I hate being a new to Linux because there is stuff that I have no idea how to install programs. My version of Mandrake (9.1) came with 3 different disks, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do you install programs?

I hate being a new to Linux because there is stuff that I have no idea how to install programs. My version of Mandrake (9.1) came with 3 different disks, and as I installed it I never got a prompt to insert/install the other two disks. Any ideas what I have to do?

And also, I've download a couple of programs off the net and I have no idea how to install these either, I haven't found a installation file or anything. Is there anyway to download a auto-installer? Please help, i hope to one day share this info with others.

Linux User
    That's strage that they didn't ask you for the other disks, did you manually select your packages during install? You can use the Mandrake Control Center and RPM Drake to search for anything you might like to install, if it finds it you will be asked to put in one of the cd's. For info about installing programs read this thread http://www.linuxforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=3912

Just Joined!

sofware how to

There is a software how to that you can read @ www.tldp.org

another thing. I belive mandrake has a section under documentation option in the main menu. You may find help there

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close