Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, FC3 Kernel-Linux version 2.6.12-1.1372_FC3 Each time after mounting CD on CDRom, reading the mounted CD on Konqueror/home, it is necessary to change to another directory first before closed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Problem on exit CDRom

Hi folks,

FC3
    Kernel-Linux version 2.6.12-1.1372_FC3

Each time after mounting CD on CDRom, reading the mounted CD on Konqueror/home, it is necessary to change to another directory first before closed Konqueror/home and then umounted CDRom, following the reverted route it came. Otherwise it'll complain saying CDRom busy and umount CDRom failed. This prblem has been hanging on me for sometimes without an explanation.

Any folk on the forum tried the supermount patch
    Kernel patch homepage of Con Kolivas
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/

Whether it can fix my probem. If YES whether the captioned patch works on this FC3 kernel. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

If you are veiwing the content of the cd in e.g. /mnt/cd/foo you will have to leave the /mnt/cd directory, since this is where the cd is, and seemingly being used, so you can't unmount it since it is still "busy". You'll just have to get used to this, by going te /mnt or $HOME or somthing when you unmount.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Guru
    Hi dylunio,

I'm aware of such a practice. If accidentally fogetting this step before closing konqueror/home window the CDRom can't be umounted with the CD locked inside the cabinet. Starting another konqueror/home to repeat those steps won't solve the problem.

Incidentally I browsed across such website I wonder whether the patch concerned will help.

B.R.
    satimis

Hmm, sorry I missunderstood the exact problem you are having. Have you tried to run
    Code:
    ps aux
    in the terminal to see if any prosseses are still "in" /mnt/cd ?

Maybe there is a konqueror process still running? You might want to grep the output by using
    Code:
    ps aux | grep konqueror
    if you find a process that is usng /mnt/cd kill it with
    Code:
    kill pidnumber
    As for the patch you can try it, since you will still have a bootable kernel in /boot (the one you currently use), you should patch the kernel and then add an option to boot this newer kernel in the bootloader, and if it doesn't work (as in you can't boot the system or somthing) you will still have the old (working) kernel to choose from at boot;
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2