Find the answer to your Linux question:
guys, i'm totally new to this forum, and also new to Linux (even i didn't get linux installed yet ) so please help me out here, does SuSE Linux 6.1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux on Pentium 4 ?

guys, i'm totally new to this forum, and also new to Linux (even i didn't get linux installed yet )
    so please help me out here, does SuSE Linux 6.1 work on an Intell Pentium 4 system ???
    and does any linux distribution work on Pentium 4 systems ????
    any way my specs are :
    Intell Pentium 4 1.6Ghz
    Acorp Mother Board
    256mb RAM
    1.7GB HD for Linux

is there any thing wrong with these specs to run linux ??

Linux Guru
    There's nothing wrong with that. Pentium 4 is backwords compatible, so anything that runs on a pentium III (such as linux) will also run on a pentium 4. You won't get the pentium 4 optimizations, though. If you want them, your only option is to compile the kernel from sources and choose pentium 4 as your processor type.
    I don't really understand why you only allocated 1.7 gigs, though. It's enough, but if you want to install any HD-heavy packages (such as gnome or kde), you'll probably loose a gig or so in the installation.
    Suse 6.1 is pretty old, too, isn't it? You really should go get a later version.

Just Joined!
    thank u very very much for your reply but i have a problem installing SuSE 6.1 on my system

ok guys here goes !
    i boot with the boot CD, after couple of steps the Yast comes up
    i choose to go to Partition the HD my Self, when it comes to partitions:
    1- i made a Primary partition dev/hda1, about 90 Megs (then i set it to Linux Swap Partition)
    2- then i made another Primary Partition dev/hda2 , and giving it the rest of my small 1.7 GB hardDisk, then i set its Type to (Linux Native )
    3- i choose continue, then comes the Screen of the Setting mount points (or FileSystems something like that .....) i have only Partition appearing its the linux native partition, then i Mount it to ( / ) root
    4- i then choose continue then confirm, formatting the drives and writing the information to its partition table, then it takes me to the place where i choose the packages to install the Base System
    5- then i choose the minimum package for exapmle (79 MB )
    6- then when i choose Start Installation, the error appears
    a dialouge box appears Saying (An error Occured During Installation Please go to Selection of Packages, check for Lost Packages)

then i press TAB to se the Reall error in the Log Window, it says :
    (Package aaa_base-99.4.19-0 is for a Different Architecture
    error: /var/adm/mount/suse/a1/aaa_base.rpm cannot be installed )

this is the lethal error i get, so please help fast guys cuz i really need to install linux please help me as soon as possible , and tell me is this is a compatibility problem ? or a defect in the CD or what ????

and please don't tell me to try another distribution, cuz i'm in Egypt, and i can't find linux here , and i'm on a DialUp connection, so can't download them niether, i only got this distro SuSE6.1 from my dad he sent it to me
    via DHL from the USA

Just Joined!
    guys please reply and try to help me in any way

Linux User
    when people don't answer it usually means we don't know.

As we have said as far as any of us know it _should_ be compatible, and it _should_ work - but since it is not, and nobody know's what is really going on, we are not sure what to tell you - it's hard to get support for such an old product, none of us have it anymore to check you know?
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!
    ok thanks any way

Linux Guru
    I answered to you cross-posting in the installation forum.