Find the answer to your Linux question:
I think my bsd and linux partitions are really badly fragmented, does anyone know of any good defraggers for the operating systems?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

*nix Defraggers

I think my bsd and linux partitions are really badly fragmented, does anyone know of any good defraggers for the operating systems?

oz
    forum.guy
    Linux doesn't usually need any defragmentation. I've been using it for 6 years and have never defragged, or needed to do so.

From what I understand Linux doesn't need defraggers due to the file systems used are resistant to fragmentation.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

Linux User
    I was just installing FreeBSD recently, and they suggested a seperate /var and /tmp to minimize fragmentation in /, because both deal with very dynamic small files. I've been noticing some slow down in my Arch install lately, I think I'll reinstall soon splitting /var and /usr. I don't think /tmp is relevant the way the 2.6 kernel handles it, but I really don't have much clue about that.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

*nix is smart, and therefore has smart filesystems. it realy is just a conditional thing, but if thats what you want then go ahead. the disks are actualy suspose to be framgented to speed up data reads and the filesystems are smart enough to try and put thing back that corespond to this spcific fragmentation setup(it has to do with how its actualy faster to read data from another read head rather than an adjacent sector.) windows file systems are stupid, and just put data where there is room at the time. thats why defrags are neccisary. think of it as a Dilligant and Dufface situation. Dilligent always puts everything back in its proper place, Dufface just shoves stuff where he can stuff it.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux Enthusiast
    Oh, because when booting to freebsd I get the error message "unexpected inconsistancy on /ad0". It boots to the os, but instead of the % bourne prompt I get the # prompt. I kinda thought inconsistancy would have meant fragmentation, i guess it might mean bad sector or a messed up file.
    I haven't seen the message in a while, I will look at it again to be sure that's exactly what it said.

Linux User
    Thanks Benjamin, is that the case with Reiser 3 too? I guess I'll just trust the low level coder gods in things i don't fully understand yet
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe