Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, Linux is the the top operating system, windows still beats, but I think the reason why is that because more software is made for windows then Linux, but linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Why Linux Isn't the Top

Okay, Linux is the the top operating system, windows still beats, but I think the reason why is that because more software is made for windows then Linux, but linux does have more advangtes then windows, just thought that is why Linux isn't the top, what do you have to say

Though I suspect this topic will be closed as it's been discussed to death in here.

Until major OEM's (Dell, Gateway, IBM, .....) start shipping units with Linux pre-installed Linux will not take over the top spot.

The lack of programs hurts as well.

The biggest reason is that most computer owners want to do as little as possible to install new programs or get/keep their systems going and for the most part they're too lazy to learn a new operating system.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

Linux Newbie
    I generally find an alternative to every program I need to run on Linux. The exceptions are the proprietary educational programs that the school system I work for uses.

Large bureaucratic organizations hire "experienced" computer system administrator to run their CIS department. They tend to stick with MS and Novell. It sure make their jobs secure but not necessarily the systems the manage.

Even very technical people still look at Linux as a niche for hobbyists.

Jeff
    Registered Linux User #391940

Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    Until major OEM's (Dell, Gateway, IBM, .....) start shipping units with Linux pre-installed Linux will not take over the top spot.
    I would have to agree that this is the #1 reason it isn't the top OS. The vast majority of computer users will not install an OS. Most computer users I know won't even reinstall Windows from a recovery disk.

Linux Newbie
    People are lazy. They want everything on a platter. That's why Linux is not the best.
    Registered Linux User #394578

Linux Enthusiast
    Maybe linux just needs to be more user friendly

As LondonJowo mentioned, this topic has been debated to death on many forums including this one as well as websites such as Slashdot, and it all usually boils down to opinions, not all of which are expressed in a nice way. I'm going to lock this thread now.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants