Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK here's the case. I just convinced my sister to give linux a try and we ment to make it dual boot with Windows, but we made a litle mistake ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Some serious troubles

OK here's the case.
    I just convinced my sister to give linux a try and we ment to make it dual boot with Windows, but we made a litle mistake and wiped out the Windows. So I tried to reinstall Windows and start the whole process from the begining. At first everything went just fine but when installation tried to reboot, the computer didn't boot anymore. And now all it does when i turn it on is that it shows the usual message "Hit del to enter setup" and after that nothing, just blank screen.
    Tried booting from cd-rom and floppy but it doesn't seem to even try loading os.
    Any clue about what might be causing this and what I could do about it would be nice.

Linux Guru
    Depending on what choices you made during install, your Windows might be okay, so be careful before doing anything else.

At some point you should have been asked about partitioning the drive. Did you have it do that automatically, or did you make your own decisions for partitioning?

At some point you were asked about the bootloader. Did you choose to have the bootloader installed on the MBR or on the Linux partition? When the bootloader was set up did the installer give the choice of running Windows as the default OS?

To get the best guidance, you need to say what distro and what version you are using. Is it the Mandriva LE2005
    like in your avatar?

It is possible that Windows is still where it should be but that the bootloader is not set up correctly and that is why nothing works. You may have been given a choice of installing either "Grub" or "LILO" as the bootloader. If so, which did you choose?

Do you have your Windows installation CD? If so, you may be able to use that to "rescue" your Windows. Don't try that yet, though, until we've discussed the other questions.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!

here is your problem's answer

How To Install SUSE 9.1 with Windows XP
    you didn't mention the distro but this method i am telling you works for all
    delete all the partitions on your harddisk with windows xp bootable cd and create partitions shown below
    make three 10GB partitions with FAT32 formatted and one unpartitioned space then setup windows xp on one FAT32 partitions and then read below to setup linux with windows

Here are the instructions to dual boot the computer with suse 9.1 and windows xp

if your computer is setup with windows xp and you have more than two partitions then you can setup the suse easily without formatting your windows xp here is how you can do that i prefer and recommend four partitions one for windows xp and one for Linux and one for Backup of windows data and one is shared FAT32 formatted : -
    C:- 10GB Windows xp NTFS
    D:- 10GB SUSE 9.1 ext2or ext3
    E: 10GB Common NTFS or Fat32
    F: 8GB Shared must be FAT32

now if you have four partitions and your computer is setup with windows xp then
    insert your bootable windows xp cd and then boot into cd untill the partition screen is not visible , when you are at partition screen, delete an existing partition that has no data and leave it as unpartitioned space now you leave with three main partitions and one unpartitioned space(10GB) now restart your PC with SUSE 9.1 cd into drive. then manually install it YAST i.e. yet another setup tool will determine the unpartitioned space and will install the linux on that unpartitioned space. when your computer is setup totally you have partitions that i write in above table by this method your MBR of windows will be untouched throught the installation of linux and if any problem occurs you can boot into windows by just restarting the computer this method works for me and works for anybody, after installations the last partition you have just format it with FAT32 format or if its previously formated with FAT32 then there is no need to format it again, the main use of formatting a partition by FAT32 is both linux and windows can write on FAT32 partition but linux can'not write on NTFS so now you have a shared partition also with the help of which you can move your data from linux to windows & vice-versa.

Maybe I told things bit unclearly, sory about that.
    I allready started reinstalling and computer sort of died during installation.
    HD is ok, I tested it on my computer and it booted up normaly and continued installation.
    The trouble is that I can't get my sisters computer boot up. I've tried bootable cds and floppies but nothing happens.
    Only thing I can do whit it right now is to fool around in bios setup so gues theres nothing wrong with it either.

...and solved
    This was some sort of HD failure, when i switched new HD in the computer, it started working.
    Still I think it's kind of weird that old HD works fine on my computer but if I put it on my sisters computer, it seems to be dead...
    Anyway now i have Win Me/Ubuntu 5.04 dualboot up and running.
    By the way abhinav Rakesh thanks for partition tip im going to try it on my laptop rightaway