Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok well I am doing a research paper for school on linux. I just wanted to know if anyone had an estimation on how many different versions of linux there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I don't know if anyone knows the answer but....

Ok well I am doing a research paper for school on linux. I just wanted to know if anyone had an estimation on how many different versions of linux there is. I just need an estimation... I've tried looking it up and nothing has come up. So if anyone could help it would be great. Thanks.

oz
    forum.guy
    check http://www.distrowatch.com for lists containing most of the available Linux distros.

Just Joined!
    thank you

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    I noticed on the stats page (about 1/3 of the way down), that they are currently reporting 386 distros in the database:

http://distrowatch.com/stats.php

That doesn't mean that's all of them, but that's how many they have info on at this time, and they do keep info on most of the active ones that have been reported to them. Of course the actual number of Linux distros could change by a little every few weeks, or so.

Just Joined!
    That's ok I just need a rough estimation. I think my instructer will be happy with what I have.

Linux Guru
    So what grade or year is your paper for? I think it's a great choice for a topic.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    I'm In my first year of college... I guess you could call it a freshman but it only takes 18 months of school since I'm going for my A.S.