Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone could explain some of the similarities and differences in the way that processes (or threads) are handled in Linux and Windows.. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Process handling in Linux vs Windows

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone could explain some of the similarities and differences in the way that processes (or threads) are handled in Linux and Windows..

I also read somewhere that Linux doesn't really "know" the concept of a thread and simply treats it as a process. Is this true? If so why would it do this?

Thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    The only thing I know, Linux doesn't use super-secret processes that monitor what you do to "improve your computer using experiance".
    I don't think it uses processes the same way windows does... however it does manage it it ultimatly makes the whole os more stable... at least that's what I remember reading somewhere

Linux User
    ps ax and you can kill any process no problem...even if it does screw things up
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I just wanted to know how to terminate a process that wouldn't allow me to switch to the CLI?

For example : Yesterday I was playing a game and it got stuck. There was no way to minimise it and use the CLI to kill it. I had to turn of the whole computer to exit the dumb game.
    Registered Linux User #394578

Linux User
    To get more details on specific differences, it might be worth asking this in the Kernel forum (if you haven't already)...

To kill off that game, you can press "Ctrl+Alt+F1" (or substiture "F2-F6" for F1, there's no difference) to bring up a console. Then type:
    Code:
    ps -A
    to get a list of all processes that are running. If the list is too long, type 'ps -A|less' to make it scrollable. Find the offending process and make a note of its name and the number by it. Then you can either type:
    Code:
    killall <name>
    if it is the only process of that name running (or you're sure you want to kill all of those processes), or:
    Code:
    kill -s kill <process number>
    This tells Linux to kill the process by sending the 'kill' signal to that process.
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Linux Newbie
    press "Ctrl+Alt+Esc," crossbones show up and click on the app and it's gone. It works immediatly and since linux is not really running another application it is less likely to hang up (unlike in windows.) It's never failed for me!
    There is no problem so complicated that you cannot find a very simple answer to it if you look at it in the right way