Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: If you were to suggest a first distro to someone who has never used Linux, which would it be?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mandriva

2 4.17%
  • Fedora

6 12.50%
  • SuSE

17 35.42%
  • Mepis

3 6.25%
  • (K)Ubuntu

8 16.67%
  • Knoppix

4 8.33%
  • Debian

1 2.08%
  • Linspire

2 4.17%
  • Xandros

4 8.33%
  • Other (please post which and why)

1 2.08%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Suse here. Although it is a bit of a personal bias, it is with good reason. Suse has fantastic hardware support, good laptop features and is reliable. Bryan...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Suse here. Although it is a bit of a personal bias, it is with good reason. Suse has fantastic hardware support, good laptop features and is reliable.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    Fedora for a Unix newb: it's only FOSS, it has tons of packages and good GTK configuration tools.

While I understand the argument of personal tastes and recommending a chooser, I think the audience you would be addressing doesn't want that extra "work". They just want a single, simple answer...half of those asking the question, will probably not even try to install a distro, so telling them they need to "figure it out themselves" or ask them a "million" questions is probably just going to turn them away, IMHO.

Personally, I would recommend SUSE. I started with it (9.2) and got it up and running without a problem. I played around with it for a couple weeks then decided to look for another distro (even though SUSE was more than adequate for my needs).

My main point is, that yes, linux gives the user a multitude of choices and hits a variety of personal preferences and/or needs, but the average user, while may want a ton of choices down the road, really just wants a single, simply answer. I think that is important to get these types of users on linux first, then once they are there, explore other distros and really get an understanding of how much choice is out there (like we already know).

I just know that if I asked this questions a couple years ago, and I got pointed to a chooser or given 10 different choices, I would have said F-it, I am fine with what I have:)
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I think most users would prefer to be pointed to a quiz that asks them ten simple questions and returns one or two simple answers instead of having ten separate people each giving ten separate answers (Use SuSE! Use Fedora! Use Slackware! Use Mepis! Use PCLinuxOS!). If a newbie can't answer a few questions, what's the point of recommending a distro? Even the most "easy to use" distro is going to take a little bit of investment to install.

Linux Newbie
    i say knoppix, its a good basis to the outline of linux without the worry of messing something up like your HDD and it also is a way to see if linux will work with your system.
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

See? Already we've already had seven different distros suggested individually. If I were a newbie, I wouldn't know whom to believe. One person says SuSE, another Mepis. Distro chooser quizzes and DistroWatch are the only ways to go on recommending distros.

I would choose Fedora Core, it is just simply so easy. And for newbies, easy is good
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

Just Joined!

Distros for newbies

I have tried about a dozen different distros over the last few months, and Xandros beats the others hands down, IMHO, because everything just works. Suse 9.3 has a lot of trouble finding new hardware, but I'm keeping it on my other hard-drive.

It just depends on the person. Someone who's a complete newbie to *nix would still be okay with more advanced distros if they have other computing experience. I've never used Linux before (apart from a few runs of Knoppix) and I'm happy with Debian, at least so far.

A distro chooser quiz is great in theory, but I don't much like the ones I've seen so far. The difficulty is that with a completely new OS, you may THINK you want it one way, based on your past philosophy, but you'd actually be better off some other way. Questions like "Is it more important for software to be cutting-edge, or stable?" or "Is one-click software installation important?", for example, could lead you away from the distro that would actually be best for you.

Also, the distro quizzes I've seen don't much take philosophy into account. If you want to use Linux for technical benefits and don't mind using lots of proprietary software, maybe Xandros or SUSE is great for you. But if it's complete freedom you're seeking, Debian, or maybe Fedora or Ubuntu, would be better choices.

I voted Debian, because it's what I use, and I'm a newbie to *nix. I would recommend it to someone with abilities comparable to my own, though not to someone who's scared of computers. Apart from a few somewhat confusing questions on installation, it's actually not all that hard. (And with over 15,000 packages and apt-get/synaptic, it's got the easiest software installation around )

Just Joined!
    SuSE I would say...cause you can develop with it. Whereas Xandros, Linspire are like training wheels you can't take off. mandrake (oh sorry...mandriva), FC, and ubuntu are also noob-friendly

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast