Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: If you were to suggest a first distro to someone who has never used Linux, which would it be?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mandriva

2 4.17%
  • Fedora

6 12.50%
  • SuSE

17 35.42%
  • Mepis

3 6.25%
  • (K)Ubuntu

8 16.67%
  • Knoppix

4 8.33%
  • Debian

1 2.08%
  • Linspire

2 4.17%
  • Xandros

4 8.33%
  • Other (please post which and why)

1 2.08%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Originally Posted by aysiu Let the user make her own mind up about what order she wants to explore those possibilities. Well, I wasn't really suggesting that you or I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Let the user make her own mind up about what order she wants to explore those possibilities.
    Well, I wasn't really suggesting that you or I or anyone should choose for them. I was merely making the observation that the order in which to explore them was likely the basis of OUR disagreement.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    Well, I wasn't really suggesting that you or I or anyone should choose for them. I was merely making the observation the the order in which to explore them was likely the basis of OUR disagreement. :wink:
    Yup. Personally, being the lazy ass that I am, I would have explored the quiz first, had it been an option when I first started out with Linux. Clearly, you would have loved to have seen this thread first. To each her own, as they say.

Linux Newbie
    i voted for Ubuntu because it is free and based on debian
    regards,
    ordoni

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I agree with many posts so far about Suse, it was my first distro as well. But I voted Knoppix, which is what I would recommend to most newbies, as it lets them click around a bit and see what linux feels like. Suse actually has to be installed, which is often a big hurdle for first-time users. Also, I feel that Suse is a bit slow by default, and one of the things I cherish the most in linux is it's speed. Of course, Knoppix, as all debian based distros uses apt-get which is just awsome (once they take the plunge and install to HD).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux User
    i always get debain, gentoo, slackware (in that order) on those tests. i use debian, never tried slack, gentoo takes to long (ii have had it working before tho)

The thing with those tests is that anyone who has used linux for any amount of time already has a few things they like (I always get debian-based distros because I love apt-get, also gentoo sometimes).

aysiu: yes, they have a live-cd but it is pretty much a demo, not as usefull to knoppix. Also, Knoppix seemed to boot a bit faster than the suse live cd I tried (9.1).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Enthusiast
    Xandros all the way, man. SUSE is slow and buggy. Vector doesn't like lots of hardware. I tried Xandros and it just works. Even better than Windows. NO problems WHATSOEVER with ANY of my hardware. But XP doesn't like my sound card.
    Though if you look at my profile I still use SUSE. Why? Because I haven't had time to remove it and put Xandros on.
    Even on my P2 dinosaur I use daily Xandros is fast. And totally compatible. And really reliable. As said, SUSE doesn't like some of my new hardware, the code is somewhat buggy, and it's slow.
    So you get my point.

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    The thing with those tests is that anyone who has used linux for any amount of time already has a few things they like (I always get debian-based distros because I love apt-get, also gentoo sometimes)
    And no one with any good sense would ever recommend a quiz to someone who has already used Linux. It's for the total newbs who have absolutely no idea where to begin.

Linux Enthusiast
    I would say Suse, its easy to use and newcomers from windows will get used to it fast

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast