Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: If you were to suggest a first distro to someone who has never used Linux, which would it be?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mandriva

2 4.17%
  • Fedora

6 12.50%
  • SuSE

17 35.42%
  • Mepis

3 6.25%
  • (K)Ubuntu

8 16.67%
  • Knoppix

4 8.33%
  • Debian

1 2.08%
  • Linspire

2 4.17%
  • Xandros

4 8.33%
  • Other (please post which and why)

1 2.08%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Xandros is more like that, they just changed "start menu" to "launch menu", seriously...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Xandros is more like that, they just changed "start menu" to "launch menu", seriously

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    Xandros is more like that, they just changed "start menu" to "launch menu", seriously
    The closest I could get to Xandros was the old Corel Linux. I know it's now defunct, but I really liked it. For the time it came out, it was very clean, intuitive and had a lot of good configuration tools. If they built Xandros upon what they already accomplished with Corel, it would have to be a smokin' distro, and a very good choice for new users.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Linux User
    I went for Knoppix. Although it may not be their first /installed/ distro, it is certainly the distro I would recommend they check out first, because it is easy to do so.

The first permanent one I would recommend would be Fedora, but only because it is the one I would be most comfortable with and able to help them setup and use.
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    The closest I could get to Xandros was the old Corel Linux. I know it's now defunct, but I really liked it. For the time it came out, it was very clean, intuitive and had a lot of good configuration tools. If they built Xandros upon what they already accomplished with Corel, it would have to be a smokin' distro, and a very good choice for new users.
    If you have a high speed connection, then just try out the Xandros "open-circulation edition", it's just the free version of Xandros. That's the copy I have, and it's just as impressive as the commercial versions. They just took out crossover office (tool to let you use MS Office in Linux) but I'd never use that anyways. Open Office is good enough.
    I'm waiting to make Xandros permanent on my system, but I'm waiting 'til I can build a new system and throw away this P2 system I have.

Just Joined!
    I went and used one of the distro quizzes that aysiu mentioned. I've used every version of Windows since 3.1 (more out of necessity than wanting to), and am used to it. The quiz reccomended Lycoris (1st choice), and Mandriva (2nd choice).
    So, I figured, what the hell? I'd go check out Lycoris. Lycoris was bought out by Mandriva 6 months ago, so I can't even get the trial version.
    I'm already running Mandriva 2005 LE, so it appears I made a good choice in what would work best for me. I agree that everyone has different needs, and preferences. The reason I went for Mandriva is simple. I'd tried out different versions of Mandrake in the past, and was familiar enough with the past versions that I wasn't scared of it.
    I've a long way to go in my learning curve, but I'm now strictly Linux on my desktop computer. My laptop is another story. I'll stick with Win2k because I can connect to the internet at any wireless hotspot. I'm sure I could do the same on it with one version or another of Linux, but I'm not ready to go through the hassles yet. Maybe after I've mastered the desktop box...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Refer to the links posted by aysiu. This question is asked with great frequency and always boils down to one thing: personal preference. Try out a few, use what you like.

::UPDATE:: Due to a good point set forth by Dapper Dan, I'm reopening this thread and will redirect all future "which distro" threads to this one.
    It's a silly question really.I do agree with Moe though.It is mainly personal preference. When I started with linux I found that each distro has its achilles heel.Be it the tiniest weakness. I settled on debian after, but after trying probably 40+ distros. I still run a windows 2000 box too.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5