Find the answer to your Linux question:
So im trying to install xmms so i can listen to mp3s, but I just cant seem to make it work right. Somehow i got it installed (i couldnt make ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

uninstall

So im trying to install xmms so i can listen to mp3s, but I just cant seem to make it work right. Somehow i got it installed (i couldnt make the source code work, so i did it through an rpm), but it wont open any mp3s (it will however, open an ogg file that came with the RH disk). Ive read the posts on uninstalling packages, but it isnt working for me. When i run make uninstall as advised, this is what happens:

[root@localhost Packages]# make uninstall
    make: *** No rule to make target `uninstall'. Stop.
    [root@localhost Packages]#

This programming stuff is all very new to me, so i dont have a clue what this means. Can anyone tell me?

You have installed with rpm so if you want to get rid of it you should runthe following as root
    Code:
    rpm -e xmms
    Check your output plugins. Have a look at this article

http://www.linuxforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=4208
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

You have installed with rpm so if you want to get rid of it you should runthe following as root
    Code:
    rpm -e xmms
    Check your output plugins if the mp3 are not playing. Have a look at this article

http://www.linuxforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=4208
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

Linux User
    Did you install mp3 support for Red Hat 9 if that's what you're using? They took it out of the standard install for legal reasons but you can install it yourself.

Just Joined!
    Im running RH8 right now. I kinda gave up on xmms, and am now trying to get mplayer to work. But there are so many other things to download just to make it work, its kind of mind boggling. The whole ./configure thing just doenst seem to work. The common problem with trying to install anything is that it tells me my compiler is missing (gcc?). Im not sure what to do with that.

Linux Engineer
    Just download the rpm-packaged for xmms and mplayer. But maybe you are using a dist that doesnt using rpm:s
    Regards

Andutt