Find the answer to your Linux question:
Q: is linux simalar to unix in a win95 to win 98 sorta way or like a win98 to winNT i know win98 and winNT have a diferent file system ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux vs unix

Q: is linux simalar to unix in a win95 to win 98 sorta way or like a win98 to winNT i know win98 and winNT have a diferent file system but i mean the way things run and stuff or if i get a program (ie MySQL) and see some codes for it can i assume that it will work on linux as well as unix or are thy diffrent in a way i cant use it

fragment
    I00I0I

PS. thanks for all the help, with you guys and a coupple of other websites ive found along with a group of hackers(in the good sense of hacker-not the bad break into stuff ones) ive found in my area linux has been a fun and informative process. still hundres of thousands of questions have not been asked by me that i will undoubtally ask in future posts but i again thank you for all your help and support making this a truly painless process.

Linux Engineer
    havign only used unix once for about 5 mins i wouldnt take my thoughts as acurate but... from wha ti could tell it ran tcsh ( i think) which is jsut a different shell. linux by default uses bash. this made it a bit harder to use but i guess that personal pref.
    a few of the filesysetm arrangments were different too, eg i think there was a /core (which i guess contained the kernel) dir isntead of /boot ... boot might have been ther but i didn tnotice it.
    but realyl anythign that runs on one shoudl be pretty easy to make run on the other.

Linux Engineer
    Unix is a bit different the UNIX yes, Unix also have different kind of dists, HPUX, Sun Solaris, AIX.

Hpux for example using LVM as a filesystem are using SAM as a administration interface for administrating the system and installaing patches etc. But must command workes the same, as tar,ls,cp,mv. Unix has sh=sea shell ksh=korneshell as default shells, but bash is availble to install if you like. I have worked moustly with HPUX and Sun Solaris and i think bouth worked well.
    Regards

Andutt

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I am a big fan of FreeBSD. You can run linux programs on it quite easily if you install linux support. It has something called "ports" which is an easy way of installing software. FreeBSD gets developed by a core group of people so that is different from Linux.

Sometimes it is a bit confusing switching between Linux and FreeBSD as they store the same thing in a different location.

I believe that FreeBSD will become almost as popular as Linux.

Go ahead and give it a try!!!
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

Just Joined!
    i would like to try FreeBSD where can i download a copy of it and try it for my self? where stuff is stored is just a trivial fact i can find stuff pretty well and as long as freebsd will run the bash shell ill be ok (i love my ls -alo) i havebt really gotinto deep commandline stuff for meow i mostly just run Xwindows and i like it alot (redhat9 is my distro) kernal build is 2.4.20-6 and i can do most stuff with it openoffice for school work and xmms for my media player(love that internet radio) soo i would like to try out FreeBSD.

fragment
    I00I0I