Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, I'm looking around to enable mouse support on this small editor. On its help manual it indicates "M-M". But I could not get it work. I tried; - ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Editor - Nano

Hi folks,

I'm looking around to enable mouse support on this small editor. On its help manual it indicates "M-M". But I could not get it work. I tried;

- on it typing M-M [ENTER]
    - [shift] +M(twice)

Please advise. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Linux Enthusiast
    When they say "M-something", that means you hold down the Meta key (Alt and/or Esc depending on system) and press the other key. And when they say "C-something", that means the same thing for the Control key.

Linux Guru
    Hi spoon!,

Tks for your advice.

On my keyboard it is [Alt]-M(plus m, lower case). When mouse support enabled I can drop the mouse pointer at any place but I can't use the mouse pointer to drag-highlight words/lines. If mouse support disabled the other way round, unable to drop the pointer at any place needed but drag-highlight being possible. When enabled I must use "mark-set' function to highlight words/lines.

B.R.
    satimis

could I ask what terminal you are using. Because the ability to highlight words is probably a feature of the terminal you are using as apossed to nano (I could be wrong but I don't believe nano can highlight words)

Have you tried mcedit (part of mc)? http://freshmeat.net/redir/midnightc...rl_homepage/mc
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Linux Guru
    Hi zba78,

could I ask what terminal you are using. ....
    Xterm

Have you tried mcedit (part of mc)? http://freshmeat.net/redir/midnightc...rl_homepage/mc
    I have been using MC for quite long time for deleting files/directories, moving files/directories, etc. only.

What is "mcedit"? Is it an editor inside MC?.

TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by satimis
    When mouse support enabled I can drop the mouse pointer at any place but I can't use the mouse pointer to drag-highlight words/lines. If mouse support disabled the other way round, unable to drop the pointer at any place needed but drag-highlight being possible. When enabled I must use "mark-set' function to highlight words/lines.
    Try holding shift when highlighting with mouse support enabled. Also hold shift to middle click paste it.

Linux Guru
    Hi valan,

Tks for your advice.

Try holding shift when highlighting with mouse support enabled. Also hold shift to middle click paste it.
    Sorry, I'm not on that PC unable to test. My mouse only has 2 buttons on top and 2 side buttons. Any suggestion.

B.R.
    satimis

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by satimis
    My mouse only has 2 buttons on top and 2 side buttons. Any suggestion.
    You could try them all in different combinations. Just make sure you aren't editing anything important and it can't hurt...
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Linux Guru
    Hi folks,

I got it. Tks

BR
    satimis