Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This is very off-topic, but don't know where to put it. I'm looking for a webbeased community system (for example in php) which allows me to run a online-community that's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Community system with credits-system

This is very off-topic,
    but don't know where to put it.

I'm looking for a webbeased community system (for example in php) which allows me to run a online-community that's user-based. And, the users must be able to "pay" each other credits from they credits they get when signing up and/or the credits they have "in the bank".

Can anybody give my good advise? When going through Google and all CMS/community systems, it looks like a rainforest...

Thanks for any help!

Just Joined!

Explain further ...

How would the users gain these credits, and what would be the use of paying each other credits? Are you looking for something similar to a forum with a points system, or more full-featured?

Josh

Linux Enthusiast
    I'm not really sure what your asking

Linux Enthusiast
    The way credits can be obtained breaks down in two parts. Fist, when people sign up, they get some credits. And secondly, people can pay other users credits when they do something for them, sell something to others etc..

I'm trying to determine what I need to set up a virtual world, a virtual community. Everything is a really early stage...

Just Joined!

Points system

I think you best best is to find a community system that is closest to your liking, and then add the point system in later. For example, lets say you wanted something exactly like linuxforums.org, but where users could give points to other users for correct answers (ala experts-exchange.com). You would implement the forum, then add the functionality for the points based on a set of buttons/screens.

Before you start looking for existing systems, I'd suggest better defining what you need. Once you have defined your requirements, developing software is straightforward.

Josh

Linux Enthusiast
    Oh, I hate Experts Exchange... they make you pay 90$ a year for answers you can find on any forum.

Just Joined!

Nice thing about experts-exchange

One thing nice about experts-exchange is that anyone can view the answers if they know how ... all you need to do is find the answer on google/yahoo/etc, click on the link, then scroll down to the bottom of the page. The top half says "Join now to see answer" and makes it look like you can't, but the full answer is there after a bunch of other links. Their site has helped me TONS of times, and I've never needed to pay a cent.

Josh

Linux User
    Even LinuxForums has a Karma system (check out someone's profile to see), though I don't know how/if it is implemented...
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd_Bloke
    Even LinuxForums has a Karma system (check out someone's profile to see), though I don't know how/if it is implemented...
    it isnt

back to the original topic, I think there is a points mod / shop mod for phpbb that would proberly do what you describe. however... I speak from experience when I say phpBB is a total PAIN to keep running when your site/forum get's to any sort of reasonable size, so be prepared to do a lot of self customisation, or consider writing yourself something from scratch.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd_Bloke
    it isnt
    Did it used to be? Because I swear I saw someone on here with positive Karma once... :P

Incidentally, what makes phpBB such a pain in the rear when you get to a decent size?
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast