Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How secure is linux? is there an ADAWARE type program? how about defragging and the like???...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Security and other stuff

How secure is linux? is there an ADAWARE type program? how about defragging and the like???

Linux Engineer
    1. Linux is as secure as you make it.
    2. There is no need for adaware software on linux(this is open source)
    3. The way ext2/3 stores blocks, it reduces the fragmentation so there is no need for defrag.

Just Joined!

Linux Security

WOW thanks for the quick reply but what do you mean theres no need for adaware? Do companies not want to sneak in spyware to track your surfing on Linux? and if its not to much more to ask, are there temp directories i can delete, and when i log in as a user my system is super slow compared to root. Can i speed up my user account?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Any company/developers for linux that would try to track your web usage would be shot down by the community. I don't see how your user account would be slower then your root account. What exactly is slower?

Linux Enthusiast
    he is right, linux doesn't have companies behind it trying to make a buck off advertising. The whole linux business model comes in support. RedHat sells "support packages" you can download the CDs off their website. Ximian sells Red Carpet, a download service that keeps your computer up to date. Almost all the code you download (and everything in the RedHat distribution) is open source. That means people actually read the source code, and look for stuff like bugs and the very rare trojan. Also, linux is probably a bit more secure than windows (depending on how you set it up, Windows can be locked down almost as well, but it takes knowledge, just like linux).
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Engineer
    There is just some stuff that can't be secure no matter what you do on windows like IIS

Just Joined!

ROOT USER SPEED

When im in a user mode and logout then login as root, The root xwindows (kde) is much faster than the users. Is there a way to cleanup all the junk i downloaded and make it faster or are there tmp directories i can delete or soemthing like in windows. I have redhat 8 and i love it, and mozilla and opera browsers are awesome too.

Linux Engineer
    I have no idea why kde would run faster as root and not any other use. Your temp dir is /tmp but cleaning that out will not increase performance at all. Maybe you are using a different theme with your account then root is using which is slowing down the system. That is the only thing I can think of.

Linux User
    it is possible root (or someone else) owns some of the config files (ls -l)
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    In what way is the user's KDE env slower? Does it stop from time to time? Does it take time to render the windows? Does it take time to log in? (etc.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast