Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by chopin1810 Make sure you don't have any ethical issues with BitTorrent, it is technically illegal, just because the system ultimatly works by accessing other people's hard drives. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    Make sure you don't have any ethical issues with BitTorrent, it is technically illegal, just because the system ultimatly works by accessing other people's hard drives.
    Which means that doing anything online is illegal, because you're accessing someone else's drive (NB. Admin, please don't get me arrested for using this site). BitTorrent is like a kitchen knife. It can be used illegally, but you get blood everywhere if it is...

Oh, and about Linspire, I've never used it, but it sounds like it tries to turn Linux into Windows (I hope this will never happen, I mean it kind of defeats the purpose of the Linux community to have you pay cash for software that was made to roam free).
    Three parts here:
    a) There's nothing wrong with trying to convert Linux to look and act like Windows to a standard user, it'll remain the safe core that Linux is.
    b) Open source software is free as in speech, not as in beer. The GPL, for example, basically says that the owner can charge, but the buyer is allowed to do as they wish with the code once they get it, provided whatever code they release is also released under the GPL. Of course, this means they can pubish a completely unmodified version on the Internet and the original writer cannot complain.
    c) If no companies charged for Linux or related services, how long do you think that Linux would still be around as a viable player in the OS game? If, for example, Red Hat were to go out of business (because it was making no profit on anything), suddenly sys admins get nervous about running an OS without any tech support and so switch to Windows.

And you download Xandros as a 540 MB zipped iso.
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Linux Enthusiast
    Which means that doing anything online is illegal, because you're accessing someone else's drive (NB. Admin, please don't get me arrested for using this site). BitTorrent is like a kitchen knife. It can be used illegally, but you get blood everywhere if it is...
    I'm not saying I agree with this law, I just know it's there and that bittorrent is really p2p, the same as kazaa and grokster, etc, and that you need to be careful not to use it way too much

Linux Enthusiast
    Three parts here:
    a) There's nothing wrong with trying to convert Linux to look and act like Windows to a standard user, it'll remain the safe core that Linux is.
    b) Open source software is free as in speech, not as in beer. The GPL, for example, basically says that the owner can charge, but the buyer is allowed to do as they wish with the code once they get it, provided whatever code they release is also released under the GPL. Of course, this means they can pubish a completely unmodified version on the Internet and the original writer cannot complain.
    c) If no companies charged for Linux or related services, how long do you think that Linux would still be around as a viable player in the OS game? If, for example, Red Hat were to go out of business (because it was making no profit on anything), suddenly sys admins get nervous about running an OS without any tech support and so switch to Windows.
    I agree with you on all of these properties, I'm just saying it's silly to make someone pay to download something like firefox.

Can anyone offer a credible link that backs up the claim that BitTorrent is illegal in the US? I highly doubt Linspire would have on its official website instructions for needing to use BitTorrent to download its live CD if BitTorrent were illegal.

I'm just saying it's silly to make someone pay to download something like firefox.
    No one's making anyone else pay anything. It's not like Linspire has a monopoly on the Linux kernel. I've read a lot of posts in Linux forums about Linspire users who are more than happy to pay to download Firefox because they want to support Linux monetarily, and they like the one-click install and shopping aisle model of downloading and installing software.

To each her own. As long as there are other alternatives out there, I wish Linspire and its users the best. Meanwhile, I'll be downloading stuff through Synaptic for free in Ubuntu. That's just me, though.

Re: Linspire - is it not linux ?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Surfer
    hi lin friends

Was just wondering why there is no much talk about linspire in linux
    world. Dont hard core linux users like linspire ?

Or is it because its more windows like ?

It is Linux distro, not too good at all, but well boomed.
    Russian UNIX Forums
    http://eugrus.pp.ru

Linux Newbie
    there is another p2p types desktop search, blinkx.com it also has
    p2p feature
    Cool Surfer - Registered linux user #397629

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I'm just saying it's silly to make someone pay to download something like firefox.
    No one's making anyone else pay anything. It's not like Linspire has a monopoly on the Linux kernel. I've read a lot of posts in Linux forums about Linspire users who are more than happy to pay to download Firefox because they want to support Linux monetarily, and they like the one-click install and shopping aisle model of downloading and installing software.

To each her own. As long as there are other alternatives out there, I wish Linspire and its users the best. Meanwhile, I'll be downloading stuff through Synaptic for free in Ubuntu. That's just me, though.
    It's just kind of a rip-off to have to pay to download firefox, plus the money is only going to linspire, it's not like they're giving the green away.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Can anyone offer a credible link that backs up the claim that BitTorrent is illegal in the US? I highly doubt Linspire would have on its official website instructions for needing to use BitTorrent to download its live CD if BitTorrent were illegal.
    It's not using it that's illegal in itself, I just imagine it's better not to download tons of files with the program, make yourself look suspicious. Hey, I'm just warning you to stay on the safe side.
    Plus, the technology lets somebody else access your HDD to download other "pieces" of the file... there's nothing wrong with this if it's ONLY going to be used for downloading other "pieces" but honestly I'd hate to find out what somebody could do with bittorrent's source code... it'll turn into some mutated cracking program.
    So in other words the technology as a whole is a bad idea.

The issue with Linspire is that it charges you money for things that every other Linux user is using freely.

When I want to install Firefox, I ran a single command:
    Code:
    emerge mozilla-firefox
    And I got Firefox installed. In Linspire, I would have to pay money to install Firefox.

I personally do not see the purpose of Linspire. If you want an uber-user-friendly OS, then use Windows! While Windows has its insecurities, a smart user can avoid any harm whatsoever. And besides, Linspire truly isolates you from what makes Linux great.

If you want a more-user-friendly Linux distro, use SuSE.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast