Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by chopin1810 It's just kind of a rip-off to have to pay to download firefox, plus the money is only going to linspire, it's not like they're giving ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    It's just kind of a rip-off to have to pay to download firefox, plus the money is only going to linspire, it's not like they're giving the green away.
    They're not?

http://info.linspire.com/opensource/

Where does this cynicism about Linspire come from? I personally don't find it worth it to use CNR, but I won't criticize anyone for using it. If people like Linspire, let them use it. I think it's a good set of training wheels for people who will eventually get tired of CNR and want to move onto Synaptic.

There are a lot of times in life where one company will charge for what another gives away free, and people choose the company that charges because they want a commercial product, they want reliability, and they want good packaging and support.

I don't care about those things, which is why I use Ubuntu and Mepis. Let others do what they want. Complaining about Linspire "forcing" you to pay for software is like complaining that McDonald's "forces" you to eat unhealthy food. If you don't like McDonald's, don't eat there. If you don't like Linspire, don't use it.

It's not using it that's illegal in itself, I just imagine it's better not to download tons of files with the program, make yourself look suspicious. Hey, I'm just warning you to stay on the safe side.
    Plus, the technology lets somebody else access your HDD to download other "pieces" of the file... there's nothing wrong with this if it's ONLY going to be used for downloading other "pieces" but honestly I'd hate to find out what somebody could do with bittorrent's source code... it'll turn into some mutated cracking program.
    So in other words the technology as a whole is a bad idea.
    Apart from your own speculation about the possibilities of using BitTorrent--legally or security-wise--can you offer any articles, studies, or consumer reports on how BitTorrent is dangerous?

Linux User
    Plus, the technology lets somebody else access your HDD to download other "pieces" of the file... there's nothing wrong with this if it's ONLY going to be used for downloading other "pieces" but honestly I'd hate to find out what somebody could do with bittorrent's source code... it'll turn into some mutated cracking program.
    The technology allows somebody else to access your HDD to download other 'pieces' of the files you happen to be choosing to host at that particular moment.
    And the source code is what everyone using BitTorrent execute. They're Python scripts, so anybody with BitTorrent (and some Python knowledge) can modify them straight away. And I certainly haven't heard of any BitTorrent horror stories...

Not to mention the fact that, as they're open-source, one of the hackers working on the project will have thought to try this out and fix it if it was possible.

To summarise this post: Shut up!
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    I'm just speculating...

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    The issue with Linspire is that it charges you money for things that every other Linux user is using freely.

When I want to install Firefox, I ran a single command:
    Code:
    emerge mozilla-firefox
    And I got Firefox installed. In Linspire, I would have to pay money to install Firefox.

I personally do not see the purpose of Linspire. If you want an uber-user-friendly OS, then use Windows! While Windows has its insecurities, a smart user can avoid any harm whatsoever. And besides, Linspire truly isolates you from what makes Linux great.
    This is a good summary. The problem is, 98% of Windows users are stoopid and won't have a clue on how to avoid harm, it's just the truth. I don't think most Windows users know that you can update the OS.

The problem is, 98% of Windows users are stoopid and won't have a clue on how to avoid harm, it's just the truth. I don't think most Windows users know that you can update the OS.
    That is a big problem, actually. People always have all these arguments about Windows is more secure, Mac is more secure, Linux is more secure, etc. It's usually not a matter of whether the OS itself is secure or not but more about how diligent the user is about securing the OS. If you run as root in Linux, you're far worse off than running as user in Windows and constantly patching your system and never opening attachments from people you don't know, etc.

Another problem is the fact that most windows users don't realise there is an alternative. Even if they have heard of linux, they think of some archaic sistem, made for net admins and programers. Oh, well, the situation is slowly changing, and besides, everybody here knows all of this and then some
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Enthusiast
    Dell tries to make it sound like Windows is the only os, and tech-illiterates believe them. Here's a quote from Dell's web site, in their "how to choose a desktop" help section:
    The operating system is the most important piece of software on your computer. Almost all home desktops come standard with Microsoft® Windows® XP. All operating systems include Windows XP Service Pack 2.
    [Dell recommends Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional]
    See people, this is why Linux is not popular enough. Because Dell, who has over half of the market share, and their competitors, TELL people that Windows is the only OS, and they believe them. Then advanced users won't even check it out it because they're too used to Windows. This is sad.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd

That's Dell's no-OS / Linux desktop line. Fairly small, but it IS there.

And Dell is certainly not the problem. Realize that like 95% of the world uses Windows. Even if Dell posted everywhere "We have Linux!!", probably 97% of their customers would choose Windows. People have not heard of Linux, people do not want to hear of Linux, and if they had, they would give up.

Those who wish to use Linux or explore non-Windows OS's have done so. If they could do it, then anyone else who wants to is able to as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    Even if Dell posted everywhere "We have Linux!!", probably 97% of their customers would choose Windows.
    That's just speculation. We don't know what would happen if Dell pushed Linux desktops more instead of tucking them away (and only as business workstations). I don't think there'd be a huge influx of new Linux users, but even 3% of all of Dell's customers would be quite a user-base.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast