Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
hi lin friends Was just wondering why there is no much talk about linspire in linux world. Dont hard core linux users like linspire ? Or is it because its ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Linspire - is it not linux ?!!

hi lin friends

Was just wondering why there is no much talk about linspire in linux
    world. Dont hard core linux users like linspire ?

Or is it because its more windows like ?
    Cool Surfer - Registered linux user #397629

I highly recommend you read this thread. I think it's clear that "hard-core" Linux users don't like Linspire because it tries to hide things from the user, damper customization, and encourages the use of root for everyday things.

Linux Newbie
    Fair enough ... but if I want to learn Linux in a friendlier way,
    will linspire be able to teach better ??

Just wondering ... like
    eg people who used windows 95 , or windows3.11 for that matter have
    better knowledge of Dos than users who jumped straight to
    Windows Xp Prof , which has a virtual dos.

Me working as root all the time is not a problem at all.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Surfer
    Fair enough ... but if I want to learn Linux in a friendlier way,
    will linspire be able to teach better ??

Just wondering ... like
    eg people who used windows 95 , or windows3.11 for that matter have
    better knowledge of Dos than users who jumped straight to
    Windows Xp Prof , which has a virtual dos.

Me working as root all the time is not a problem at all.
    Well put it this way say if you want install a driver for say your graphics with linspear you are unable to install them since it cut and hides componates from you to make it 'user friendly'. Also you said you want to learn, with linspear you won't learn anything since it hides stuff from ye. Also the root for normal tasks is not a good thing (you will get broken in to). If you want a easy to use distro i recomend suse.
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Linux Enthusiast
    Nah, use Xandros, it's secure and is just like windows, they just changed "start menu" to "launch menu" (I'm guessing because "start menu" is copyrighted)

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by winter
    Also the root for normal tasks is not a good thing (you will get broken in to). If you want a easy to use distro i recomend suse.
    Thats what I like, anyone is welcome to visit , ... n hey now
    dont say hello backdoors ... lol

I have learnt a lot from trace back, and learnt to some extent networking
    also, how firewalls work, how to configure them, network security tools
    etc...

PS: i am not a computer guy. n expecially when one is running a web server, it definitly would pay good if one knows the core of linux
    and trouble shoot when attacked and pin the problem. Theres no sensitive data on my pc, so no worries.

Thanks anyways friend.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    Nah, use Xandros, it's secure and is just like windows, they just changed "start menu" to "launch menu" (I'm guessing because "start menu" is copyrighted)
    How big is xandros iso friend. ? I might try this distro also. But m on a slow con, so will download at 6-8 kbps

Any link where i can download it pl ?

Thanks

Linux User
    You'll want to go to the Xandros website to download it, and you'll have to use BitTorrent to do so. The specific page you want is http://www.xandros.com/products/home..._download.html
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Linux Enthusiast
    Oh, something like 500 megabytes, somewhat small for an OS ISO. I know, it's hell on dial up, I downloaded it on dialup myself. BitTorrent is damn slow too.
    Make sure you don't have any ethical issues with BitTorrent, it is technically illegal, just because the system ultimatly works by accessing other people's hard drives.

Linux Enthusiast
    Oh, and about Linspire, I've never used it, but it sounds like it tries to turn Linux into Windows (I hope this will never happen, I mean it kind of defeats the purpose of the Linux community to have you pay cash for software that was made to roam free).
    Sounds like I would have a problem with Linspire. I don't like it when stuff is hidden from me that I can fix. This is why I can't stand Dell. Windows is probably worse than Linspire at this. It treats power users like idiots and takes advantage of the stupidity of tech illiterates.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast