Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, i have a monitor that has no brand name, i got it my pc in 2001, could anyone suggest a program that finds the specifications such as some sort ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

find my monitor specs

hello, i have a monitor that has no brand name, i got it my pc in 2001, could anyone suggest a program that finds the specifications such as some sort of brand name so i can configure it properly when installing vidalinux.

Linux Newbie
    All information you might need for your monitor is vert/horiz synch rate and max resolution. Usually you can see these specs on the sticker on the back side of the monitor.

Banned
    or in the instruction manual

Code:
    man moniter
    heh heh jk

hat
    Just Joined!
    Two suggestions:
    1) It's probably a plug-and-play monitor, so you could hook it up to a Windows computer. You can then find out it's characteristics by looking at the display settings.
    2) If that's no good, how about posting anything on any labels on the back of the monitor. Someone may be able to use that info to track it down.

Sorry I can't give you the name of a program that'll do it.

Linux User
    The program you want to use is, I believe, 'ddcmon'. However, I have no idea how to use it and I couldn't find anything particularly useful with a quick Google.

Looking at the sticker on the monitor would probably be much easier...
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Linux Enthusiast
    Mine are just on the sticker.