Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, I have a strange problem which happens more often than not. When I login to SSH, FTP or view the actual computer names on the network it is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Slow Login

Hi Guys,
    I have a strange problem which happens more often than not.

When I login to SSH, FTP or view the actual computer names on the network it is very slow for some reason. Once logged in or I get to the point of seeing all the files/directories in Samba everything is lightening quick as it normally would be.

I have modified the /etc/hosts file and added each machine which accesses the network but this hasn't rectified the problem.

The following software is what I'm running

Mandrake 9.0

SSH - OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090609f

FTP - ProFTPD Version 1.2.5

Samba - Samba version 2.27

Keep in mind this is only a fairly new installation of Mandrake 9.0, I wouldn't say more than 2 weeks old.

Once you are connected via SSH, FTP, Samba things fly, it appears to be slow on the initial login or when su'ing to another user/root.

Any ideas as to the cause of this?

Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Darren

Linux Engineer
    ive got pretty much the same setup as u and have noticed it can be quite slow to login aswell... u gues su could check that the dns servers for the conenction are set to /etc/hosts frist followed by any other dns u migh tbe using