Find the answer to your Linux question:
I used Partimage to create an image of a Windows 98 (fat-32) HDD for backup purposes (this was the main and only hard drive, so it has the MBR and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mounting Partimage Files

I used Partimage to create an image of a Windows 98 (fat-32) HDD for backup purposes (this was the main and only hard drive, so it has the MBR and stuff (I made the backup using Knoppix). I don't know if this matters.) The settings were to limit file size to 2 GB and use bzip2 compression. I wound up with only one file, image.000. I now find myself needing to retrieve just one or two files from the backup. Do I have to restore the whole drive, or is it possible to mount this image to the Linux file system like you would an ISO? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Linux Enthusiast
    This is why I don't use backup tools, you always end up with some sloppy mess and can't figure out how to restore the thing...

Linux User
    I expect, as you used an imaging program, you'll need to restore the entire drive. I may, however, be mistaken...
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Just Joined!

What about bochs?

What about bochs? Is there a way to use it to emulate my computer so I can access the files?

Backing up my computer as an image file seemed like such a good idea...