Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi: I acquired a Gateway P3 500 from a friend of the family and decided to pull the disk out of my old P2-233 that was running RH9, throw it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing RH9 with Promise Ultra 66 IDE Controller

Hi:

I acquired a Gateway P3 500 from a friend of the family and decided to pull the disk out of my old P2-233 that was running RH9, throw it in the newer box and do a new install of RH9. Dumb, dumb. Anaconda *saw* the two hard drives and let me partition them, but on reboot, the system just goes into a grub > prompt. Do I have to re-install, or are there boot commands I can enter to force it to recognize the card? (Which is certified by the RH9 official HCL, BTW)

Thanks for any & all replies...

Just Joined!
    I think maybe you can get the lastest driver form Promise's website,also you should you should insert the driver disk when Install Manager askes you to.

I don't think Hard mode Raid is necessary because Sofe mode Raid seems enough.

Just Joined!

Installing RH9 with Promise Ultra 66 IDE Controller

Hi:

Thanks for the reply. I checked Promise's site and their driver is pretty old. Turns out the only way everyhting worked was to let DD do automatic partitioning and install everything. Now it works fine. The second hard drive is a little messed up, though, is there a Red Hat utility I can use to check it for errors after or during formatting it for the filesystem?

Thanks..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I think this is hard to use this card in Linux,since I was confused by a HighPoint card before.

Maybe this site can do a little help. http://sxs.thexdershome.com/hardware/e2.html
    Good Luck.