Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am wondering what all this hype is about about 64bit and maybe 127 bit or is that for graphics, anyways what is 64bit and what does it do and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Question 64Bit

I am wondering what all this hype is about about 64bit and maybe 127 bit or is that for graphics, anyways what is 64bit and what does it do and stuff like that

Linux User
    In practice, 64-bit processors don't do much more than run 32-bit apps quite fast, as they aren't prolific enough for them to be worth developing yet.

And, in theory, I don't know enough to tell you. :P
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Linux Enthusiast
    64 bit processes more data than 32 bit, and does it faster. However, in general, programs written for 64 bit processors are very buggy because the architecture has not been mastered yet. As of now most 64 bit operating systems are somewhat buggy as well. Windows 64-Bit edition is notorious for this. I can't tell you what Linux 64 bit OS development is like because one, I haven't read any reviews or thoughts on it, and two, I don't have a 64 bit processor and therefore have no way of telling you myself.
    Another negative: there has been almost no program development for the 64 bit architechture, and development that has been established is pretty much all beta.
    But it can handle much, much, much more RAM than 32 bit systems. I believe 32 bit units can only handle 16 gigabytes.
    So give it a few more years and we'll see what happens.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    ^Windows XP 64 is still in beta. There have been many distros supporting x86_64 for a long time, so I guess that GNU/Linux and BSDs for x86_64 aren't so buggy. I'll have to see when I get my AMD64

oz
    forum.guy
    It's still too early (in my opinion) to jump onto the 64bit bandwagon, but I do plan to do so once things stabilize a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd_Bloke
    In practice, 64-bit processors don't do much more than run 32-bit apps quite fast, as they aren't prolific enough for them to be worth developing yet.

And, in theory, I don't know enough to tell you. :P
    well....hmmm im running strait only 64bit apps on this amd64....and if the app i want is not available x86_64 then i make the x86 version compile x86_64 and sofar most have worked just fine
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux User
    Lo
    Got some prob with binaries distro sometimes on amd64 it worth using a source one imho but I never had trouble with sourcemage or freebsd (but I've got some troubles with deb amd64)